How are Millennials resetting the cultural agenda?

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
Generations have the opportunity and or size to rewrite he cultural agenda of society and change the direction of previous thinking in many different ways. Some previous installed ways of looking at the world are preserved, but new ones frequently added.

How do our CFC Millennials see the world they are shaping in the arts, music, language, worldview, politics, globalization, climate, environment, etc. ?

How do older or younger folks see their impact?

I don’t think there has been a lot of radical changes, just a gradual movement that threads the Baby Boom, Generation X, and Millennials: take an issue like gay rights that “started” (in quotes because I know you can go back further) with Stonewall; the fifty years since then has been an integration of them into cultural acceptance and didn’t start with any one particular generation doing a wholesale rejection of previous attitudes.

I think they missed their window to do anything really substantial. Not saying they didn't try, but they didn't really change much. They Occupied Wall Street I suppose. I mean, just look back 20 or so years - are things all that much different? Now the Millenials are on the cusp of being "old & out of touch" if they aren't already, & getting characterized as telling Gen Z to get off their lawn.

Which is actually... normal, I suppose. Every generation thinks they are gonna "change the world!" Then they don't. Then they have kids. It's why I like being Gen X. Nothing was expected of us. We are lazy & just don't care (our defining characteristics) & accept that. And yet we still accomplished the same thing.

We combined with through the boomers in a lot of places to get the needle moving on not locking people up for weed. So much money and power invested in that, though, that it's a long slow slog on the tail - and now we fight with the government-lovers that just can't stand to miss a rent-dollar on stuff you do for yourself. But that's old old. The commerce clause backstops everything(here).

Last edited:
Certainly, Millennials have changed the language.

They invented Facebook & wasted their lives online mostly. They seem to be in general a not very powerful or confident generation altho generalization of a billion+ people across many countries is a bit silly

Us Millennials in general are the internet generation. Most of us (in the Western World) probably can't fathom an existence without cyberspace (the Zoomers will live there). We talk daily or weekly with friends that we have never met in person. We are also partly the reality-tv and talent show generation, although most Mills I know grow out of that particular fixation in their 30s. We adopted the smarthphone as if it represented the next step in human evolution. We also get called upon when our parents need help with their smartphones or iPads; we are mystified at their 'disconnect' with modern technology, but happy to assist nevertheless.

We take a lot of anti-depressants in our youth. We are more leftist inclined, we tend to put issues like climate change and LGBTQ rights on the top of our political priorities. Time will tell if we follow in the footsteps of Gen X and our parents and become more conservative/liberalist as we get families, mortgages, pets and midlife crises. Our jobs are well payed and we will in general become masters of our own career opportunities in the 2030s and onwards, purely due to demographics. This will also be true for the youngest segment of Gen X and the generation that follows us. Outside a fixation with the 1980s that is rooted in music, film and clothing, we are not nostalgic for bygone eras. In my part of the World, political parties and corporations that thrive on nostalgia and the 'things were better in the old days' meme are dying out.

Last edited:
We're unfortunate in that we had to have personal contact with Boomers and are paying their tab as they dine and dash, but fortunate in that the real mess hasn't kicked off yet.

Aren't your parents boomers?

i first read the title wrong and assumed we were talking about people born after 2000. i'd like to do a sidenote about the youngest of us. most of the time when i meet them, i'm baffled at their political awareness. they're both very smart and involved (and frustrated). don't let the internet's stupidity fool you. they have a lot of potential. (in denmark at least, when i meet them.)

their means to change, i'm more unsure about. fast fashion is up. the mode of their embracement of multiculture is more consumption than ever. (diversity is good, sweatshops aren't.) social media is powerful, but it also works within corporate power. but it's all power structures that can't be done much about, and have been both challenged and consolidated during the millenial generation. the young understand, generally, that they have to do something. so they do what they can with their horsehockey options.

i had a long talk with a random 16 year old at a lake once (he approached me and my friend late at night, he was on the way home from a party - we get drunk that young in denmark). we asked him what he wanted to work with when he grew older. then this drunk kid casually laid out problems of poverty and city planning, in clear nonpatronizing arguments and incredible detail founded in empiricism. over a course of 5 minutes, and he clearly knew more. he wanted to work with social/city planning solutions to urban poverty. it floored me. when i was 16 i just liked emo chicks. what the hell is happening

millenials are generally the same as them, but i bluntly find millenials like... not as sharp. we weren't as clearly informed about things when i grew up. we were vaguely marxist while not knowing what marx believed. stuff like that. millenials have done a lot of protests and marches and stuff, but i just see more potential in the next generation. because, honestly, they're just more informed.

Last edited:
Probably. What of it?
I just find it odd that you find it "unfortunate that you have had to have personal contact" with your parents or any their generation.

No punchline, just an observation.

i first read the title wrong and assumed we were talking about people born after 2000. i'd like to do a sidenote about the youngest of us. most of the time when i meet them, i'm baffled at their political awareness. they're both very smart and involved (and frustrated). don't let the internet's stupidity fool you. they have a lot of potential. (in denmark at least, when i meet them.)

their means to change, i'm more unsure about. fast fashion is up. the mode of their embracement of multiculture is more consumption than ever. (diversity is good, sweatshops aren't.) social media is powerful, but it also works within corporate power. but it's all power structures that can't be done much about, and have been both challenged and consolidated during the millenial generation. the young understand, generally, that they have to do something. so they do what they can with their horsehockey options.

i had a long talk with a random 16 year old at a lake once (he approached me and my friend late at night, he was on the way home from a party - we get drunk that young in denmark). we asked him what he wanted to work with when he grew older. then this drunk kid casually laid out problems of poverty and city planning, in clear nonpatronizing arguments and incredible detail founded in empiricism. over a course of 5 minutes, and he clearly knew more. he wanted to work with social/city planning solutions to urban poverty. it floored me. when i was 16 i just liked emo chicks. what the hell is happening

millenials are generally the same as them, but i bluntly find millenials like... not as sharp. we weren't as clearly informed about things when i grew up. we were vaguely marxist while not knowing what marx believed. stuff like that. millenials have done a lot of protests and marches and stuff, but i just see more potential in the next generation. because, honestly, they're just more informed.
Some of them are, sure. And the ones with laser focus have more tools at thier disposal to specialize. But they aren't as rounded. Which makes sense for them. There is no job compensating good little capitalists for being rounded.

... he probably also likes emo chicks.

Top Bottom