How are Millennials resetting the cultural agenda?

I’m not an idiot. I know what pragmatism means.

This seems to be an ongoing source of friction. How about we just create a system? If I quote you, I'm referring specifically to you. If I'm not, there's a strong chance I'm speaking more generically, even if it's about something you've also discussed. I'm not implying this can be interpreted as backward-facing, but it might work moving forward.

This seems to be an ongoing source of friction. How about we just create a system? If I quote you, I'm referring specifically to you. If I'm not, there's a strong chance I'm speaking more generically, even if it's about something you've also discussed. I'm not implying this can be interpreted as backward-facing, but it might work moving forward.

If I make a post about how pragmatism is not the same as centrism and give an example of how pragmatism has moved me further left, and very shortly afterwards you make a post stating that what one thinks is pragmatism can be mistaken for, among other things, laziness, how else am I to understand the point you’re advancing?

If I make a post about how pragmatism is not the same as centrism and give an example of how pragmatism has moved me further left, and very shortly afterwards you make a post stating that what one thinks is pragmatism can be mistaken for, among other things, laziness, how else am I to understand the point you’re advancing?

Hence my suggestion. As I said, it seems to be a source of friction. It might be easier to incorporate this system.

Last edited:
I used pragmatism vs conservative because outside USA the labels can mean different things.
Here you can vote for right wing parties that don't care about it are pragmatic on issues in USA eg abortion, gay marriage etc.

We had a right wing party for example enable gay marriage.

Here older white makes tend to vote right wing, urban liberal wonen make up bulk of the Green party support, liberal mean tend to vote labour the younger ones maybe green.

Millennials Change The Sales Game
BY LINDSAY ELLIS

Drop the hard sell. Try texting prospective buyers. And know that it might take dozens of meetings to close a deal.

Such were some of the lessons shared at the Women in Sales Summit in Napa, Calif., this fall, where about 250 saleswomen networked, traded tactics and considered one of the biggest questions consuming the sales profession: how to sell to millennial buyers.
The cohort born between 1981 and 1996 is the biggest in the U.S. workforce, and now holds the largest number of decision-making roles in corporate buying, according to Forrester Research. A decade ago, workers in this age range flooded into workplaces and agitated bosses with their demands for more feedback and a sense of higher purpose in their work. As consumers, they transformed retail sales by buying even big-ticket items such as furniture online, relying on the internet to research and review purchases.
Now that millennials control the purse strings at many businesses, sales professionals are carving out new ways of closing deals on everything from business software to chemicals and office equipment. Those tactics, some say, involve fewer trips to the golf course and more time corralling large buying teams that include senior managers, finance officials and end users at target companies. Cold calls are ceding ground to millennials’ preference to communicate via text or direct message. And just as they do as consumers, many millennial corporate buyers like to research business products online and on their own before ever talking to a salesperson.
For veteran sales leaders such as Dale Taormino, the generational shift means much less time working the phones and wooing a few executives at a prospective company. Instead, she operates like “more of a quarterback,” she says, coordinating large teams of players on both the seller’s and buyer’s sides. “ There used to be a perception that sales is not that hard of a job— you just have to have a great per-tougher. sonality and be good at building relationships,” says Ms. Taormino, who as vice president of sales at Chicago-based Vistex Inc. leads the revenue-management company’s enterprise sales for North America. “ The profile of who’s going to be successful in sales and what kind of skill
set or acumen they have has definitely changed.” In her first job out of college a couple of decades ago, as a temporary worker helping sell subscriptions to industry research, Ms. Taormino says she was tasked with finding titles of people at target companies to cold call with product information and fax brochures.

Now the process of building a funnel of prospective clients has flipped, she says. Marketing and sales at many companies are working more in tandem than they used to. Many prospects find Vistex and its software products through online searches and software review sites like TrustRadius. They then contact Vistex on their own. If the company’s sales staff contacts buyers first, Vistex has already gleaned a lot about what they are seeking, based on visits to the website. Deals take longer and involve more people, says Mary Shea, who leads sales-technology research at sales-software company Outreach.io. In a recent Forrester survey of more than 200 business-to-business directors with purchasing power—49% of whom were millennials— at least half said they typically researched the supplier’s business and client reviews before ever accepting a meeting with them. Most also said they expect to meet, in person or virtually, with a supplier’s senior leaders and existing customers before signing the dotted line. In turn, 75% said the cycle for buying decisions had gotten longer over the past 24 months. Some sellers say that is partly due to pandemic-related disruptions.

Sales professionals say the more complex, protracted process of closing a sale has made the job Among 900 sales professionals surveyed by market-research firm Gartner last winter, nearly 90% said they had work-related burnout. One of the top reasons they cited was having to seek multiple approvals for deals.

Jessica DeMay, 35, sells software, but her “solutions consultant” title reflects the shift in the job. Buyers in her age range typically arrive at their first meeting armed with detailed research about her products and those from her competitors. They often want to see a product demonstration before talking at length to her or her team, which means there is little or no chance to customize the demo to their specifications.
The sales profession is grappling with other challenges, too. Big layoffs decimated the field early in the pandemic as companies slashed sales budgets. Since then, many businesses have struggled to fill open sales positions. Recruiters say many younger workers assume sales work means glad-handing and persuading customers with high-pressure tactics rather than the product-consulting role it has evolved into in recent years. Stephen Pacinelli, chief marketing officer at video-messaging service BombBomb, started selling software in 2000. The 45-year-old would often travel unannounced to the offices of real-estate brokers and agents to try to snag an appointment or to woo them with snacks.

ANDREA AREVALO FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ( 2)

Today, that would be just as bad as sending an unprompted LinkedIn message with zero personalization, he says. Instead, he says, customers want to learn from peers at other companies.
“ That openness is more unique to millennials,” he says. “ You have to be the antithesis of a webinar.” Presenters and attendees at a recent Women in Sales Summit discussed how to sell to millennial buyers.

@schlaufuchs ??? It's from the WSJ.

This one:

1668102630646.jpeg

But evidently, it is not

Generation Z just made a big impact.

People under 30 years-old just voted HUGELY democrat in the midterm elections which affects all kinds of things.

Perhaps they have helped to finally finish off The Don.

Generation Z just made a big impact.

People under 30 years-old just voted HUGELY democrat in the midterm elections which affects all kinds of things.

Perhaps they have helped to finally finish off The Don.

Here I think something like 90% of young woman vote left.

Not sure what the make rate is but it's also high

Nah, you did.
So 'splain it, then. I doubt I will agree with you, but go ahead and try. Politely, of course, in a non-condescending way.

In my country the difference between top 10% and bottom 10% seems to be a little more than twice the salary, but the difference between top and bottom should be smaller once you consider taxes and welfare https://www.scb.se/en/finding-stati...d-graphs/salary-dispersion-by-sector-and-sex/

Salary seems to increase up to like age 50 https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/.../genomsnittlig-manadslon-efter-alder-och-kon/

Nowdays it seems like young people earn average salaries higher than average in 1973, like 3917 sek from Full-time non-manuel workers in mining, quarring and manufacturing would in 2021 be worth 26 720,87 sek which would be like the average 18 to 24 years old earn in 2021.

Seems to me young people in my country is doing very well in terms of finances and probably far better than like young people in USA which I don't know having anything to do with voting patter becoming more towards the right compared to the past but to be fair comparing the right parties in Sweden which still more or less maintain the welfare systems would maybe be more left wing than the democrats in USA in terms of the economic side.

Last school election showed young people voted on the right parties more than the left parties.

For USA the situation seems to have gotten very bad, like how do this make sense https://info.primarycare.hms.harvard.edu/review/us-failing-to-thrive To be honest I don't see much to be hopeful of the future of people living in USA, many of the problems USA have today is going all back to its founding, like black families being much poorer than white families (who also seems to often be poor) seems to be due to slavery and keep in mind slavery was ended in the 1860s and still the problem persist. Things like life expectency seems to been already behind countries like Sweden in the late 1800s, things like vacation time, education and workers rights probably also already falling behind in late 1800s, Basically it seems USA more or less missed the social reforms that took place in other countries around the turn of the century and still even like 100+ years later it is still seems unable to do those things and falling even further behind. Like poverty in USA was and still is very extreme compared to other developed countries.

Last edited:
So 'splain it, then. I doubt I will agree with you, but go ahead and try. Politely, of course, in a non-condescending way.
Zard's response was a total non-sequitur based on his complete misunderstanding of what I pointed out was boomer behaviour. Hence, my desire to react by laughing.

Top Bottom