How Are You Liking The Barbarians Game Mode?

How Do You Like Barbarian Game Mode

• I love it! I will use it in every game.

• Meh.

• I may use it every now and again.

• I won't use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just wish it would actually tell you how many turns it is until city state conversion instead of this 50+ turns crap.

Pleasantly suprised that the AI isnt totally brain dead when it comes to this mode. They destroy camps close to them, but they will influence far away camps. I even saw the Aztec raid a camp. Nevertheless, I still saw Vietnam destroy a barb post in the middle of the desert that was "imminent" in its conversion process, so its not without its flaws.

It is very entertaining in my opinion. The only slight disadvantage on larger maps, is that most city states will spawn somewhere remote on tundra. As a tip, run Diplomatic League (The first envoy you send counts as two) as you'll be often the first one making contact with the remote city states.

I'm enjoying it, but the Barbs seem more aggressive than ever. I've had three invasions so far, attacking petty much all my cities. In the same time frame, I've found and conquered one civ (Kublina), for comparison.

On the other hand, a sneaky raid got me a nice bit of gold and I think I'm going to enjoy the mechanics. Whenever I have Barbs on (O don't always), I'll probably have this mode on.

I'm enjoying it, but the Barbs seem more aggressive than ever. I've had three invasions so far, attacking petty much all my cities.

I've still not had that much experience playing Barb mode but AFAIK they aren't any more aggressive than without.

It does feel a little like the Pirates scenario. Does the raid camp make the same sound?

Last edited:
Just voted to see the votes, hehe... I will use it every game, though.

I agree that they seem to be a bit more aggressive. It’s also strange seeing camps have non-spearmen in them. Encamped slingers are surprisingly difficult to take out! I think also on higher difficulties, the AI starts with enough gold (or bonus to GPT?) to incite them to attack you quite early. At least, that’s what seems to be the case. Is that what the gold icon next to the unit flag means?

Still loving it. Just need to re-calibrate.

Just trying out stuff here... I just killed and occupied one of the camps, and in the transition between turns, an AI scout raided the camp while I was still in it (ending its turn outside of the camp) , and took the gold. is it supposed to work that way?

I like it, but the barbs are much stronger. I feel like the spawn rate for barb units has gone up. I had a sea clan set up next to a lake and fill it with Quads. It was a pain in the butt to clear that camp.

Also, since clearing the camp doesn't give gold, I'm more broke in the early game. On the other hand, since it gives 10xp, my early units are much better promoted.

I am really enjoying it. I was able to destroy a clan before I even saw its scout and it got me wondering, do some clan types not send out scouts at the same rate as before? perhaps this is a behavior of that clan type? Only other explanation is I got lucky with the movement of the scout going away from me. This was early game and the camp was maybe 6 tiles away or so.

I can't play because it is broken on my mac... not sure if it is just me.

Just as an FYI to the people reporting more aggressiveness: that is indeed correct. The mode increases their Boldness, and all their different attack forces contain more units.

Above is from the XML.

Last edited:
Top Bottom