1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how bad is it to automate workers?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by bigk89m, Feb 22, 2006.

1. bahman

bahman Chieftain

Automating is just as bad as it sounds. It is not matter of finding what is the best improvment for a tile. Sometimes you have to be dynamic in your improvment. That is an important part of the game. You need the less land if you use it effectively. Let me give you an example how a dynamic improvment works. Suppose you have a city with 10 tiles and this city is good for financinal thing. Now you can just do cotage in all tiles, but what is the point on doing that, you have to wait very long that your city reaches to the right population. You can either irrigate all the tiles to populate your city as fast as possible and then change all those tiles to cotage. Which one is better?, you have to think about it. In another hand I never cottage those tiles near the border and many other things you should take in account.

2. Glinka

Glinka Prince

The problems with automating workers in Civ4 are the problems associated with automating any procedures best controlled by human players in any game. The AI simply doesn't know your own mind. It's doesn't understand your shortterm and longterm strategies. The AI won't know the order in which you want areas developed, or how you want them developed, both of which are dependent upon the ultimate role you envision for a nearby city. Were workers a minor part of the game, given the time their correct placement consumes, I'd suggest using automation, anyway--what would you have to lose? But handling them correctly is so vital to your success, that I can't recommend this. Stick with manual controls. You won't be sorry.

3. Canuck Bill

Canuck Bill Chieftain

Bad if you want a mine, not a windmill. Really depends on how serious you want to play the game. If you are looking to play a quick game on a lower level it is fine.

If you want to win on Emperor or above I beieve you need to take control. EXAMPLE:Can't have that hill full of gold in your 4th city sitting there without a mine. It needs to have a worker following the Settler and hooking it up right away. Not a bad thing to have a road built to the hill in advance.I manage every aspect of the game. Leads to longer games but I have everything where I want it.

I am no Civ expert by any means but have made it to Immortal and am finding any little error leads to:

Single Player
    Custom Game
    Canuck Bill
    Epic Game
    etc............

4. automator

automator King

Exactly what I do. Usually once I've hit the middle ages, I've tired of spending every turn telling a couple workers do to something. Rather than put them to sleep and forgetting that they're there, I'll do trade automation so that they don't mess with my specialization and pick up resources that appear and which I miss. But I always keep about a half dozen un-automated for specializing new cities, captured cities, and for changing the specializations of some cities (e.g., the GP farm that's now taking forever to create a GP and should become a goldmine).

5. Andrei_V

Andrei_V King

Simple recipe: hook up some coal. :)

They need coal to replace roads by railroads, and they do that regardless of the options. Even if you automate them for "build trade network".

6. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

Build (snatch) them, stack them up... sometimes multiple small stacks dependant on turns/task... hook up area, when finished, build extra roads for military, when ready; collect stacks and fortify in/around capital (or local capital) until needed elswhere. Like new rescource, new city, rails, etc....

7. ChangHao

ChangHao Long standing Civ-er

is it really that bad to automate workers?
    the only reason why i don't automate them is because i need them to chop.
    even then, i automate workers right after i chop enough settlers for my 1st fews cities. if it's an early assault game, then i need to chop praetorians as well.
    trust me. the rest of the game is more about macro management than about every single detail. if you must, use the "focus on XXX" in your city.
    every deity game i've won was by automated workers (except for chopping). sure, if i want to end game a little earlier i shouldn't auto, but that's not the point.
    for me, micro management makes me miserable and i want to enjoy the game. The AI does a very decent job at automation.
    don't worry so much about what land is improved. worry about what you are building in your cities and what you are trying to achieve in the long-term. i'd say that worker automation is about 1% of what the game is about.

8. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

I find that improving your land correctly accounts for about 20% of the decision making involved in this game.

15% expanding properly
    20% improving tiles properly
    10% working the right tiles
    25% managing city production
    20% moving units and attacking
    10% research and trades

9. ChangHao

great breakdown. i think that just shows that we all play the game differently. that makes civ such an interesting title!

10. DangerousMonkey

DangerousMonkey Warlord

Automating workers is highly suboptimal. The AI does a rather poor job of improving cities effectively. Also, it has the nast tendency to build a lot of farms and not a lot of cottages, which is a very bad idea.

Of cource, if you're new to the game automating your workers isn't that bad of an idea because even though the AI isn't that efficient, it still probably knows better than you. If you're capable of beating the game on Noble or higher you probably know better than the AI, so it's better to control them manualy, at least until the late game when everything important has been improved.

11. Pete2006

Pete2006 Prince

Not true. I can win on Emporer automating workers and skipping the pyramids.

12. ChangHao

i second that. deity in fact.

13. StreetX

StreetX Chieftain

Wow that's maybe the reason why everything is so slow when I play. Never knew it's so important. Thanks for al the info :D