How Best to Uninstall Classic Civ II?

onlinejester

Chieftain
I just got the Civ II MGE edition and want to install it.

So I went to uninstall the Civ II Classic edition that I've been playing on my older computer (OS is Windows 98) the past few days. However, Windows 98 does not list the game in its Add/Remove Programs list, nor is there an Uninstall wizard option listed on the game folder menu (Program Files/Sid Meier's Civilization II).

So my question is Should I just use the Delete key to delete the C:\Mps folder (where Civ2 is located)?

Yep. Deleting the civ2 folder, deleting its folder in the start menu and deleting the civ.ini in your Windows directory will completely get rid of Civ2 (including all your savegames, scenarios and hall of fame, mind you).

Civ2 was made before Windows95. Uninstall wizards simply didn't exist back then.

But you could just as well have both Classic and MGE installed at the same time. MGE has a far more aggressive AI, for instance. If you keep both, you can pick and choose whichever version you fancy playing at any time.

You could also choose to keep your savegames, scenarios and hall of fame (HALLFAME.DAT) of Civ2 classic, if you wish. They'll also work in MGE. You'd just have to copy them to your new MGE folder.

Mercator (or anyone who knows) --

OK. So I have decided to keep Classic Civ2 on my hard drive. Now what do I need to do in order to install Civ2 MGE so that it won't conflict with the Classic Civ2 that's already installed in the C:\mps\Civ2 folder? According to the installation instructions in the Civ2 MGE manual, the game files will be installed into the C:\mps\Civ2 folder unless I indicate a different folder. What do you recommend?

BTW, after I installed the Classic Civ2, I copied the multimedia (video and kings) files from the Classic Civ2 CD to C:\mps\Civ2\Video and C:\mps\Civ2\Kings folders so that I would not have to have the CD in my CD drive all the time. Is there a way that both Classic Civ2 and Civ2 MGE can access these folders, or will I have to create a duplicate set of Video and Kings folders for Civ2 MGE?

:hmm: I'm not entirely sure. I don't think it's possible to safely install both in the same directory. They both use files with the same name but different content, so that would clash. You could install it in, say, C:\MPS\Civ2MGE, to keep both copies somewhat together. But that's just a matter of personal preference.

Being in two different directories, it won't be possible to have both use one and the same directory for the multimedia, I'm afraid. Or actually, I think you could use a CD emulator to do it. But I'm not familiar with those myself at all, so I can't help you any further there.

onlinejester said:
OK. So I have decided to keep Classic Civ2 on my hard drive. Now what do I need to do in order to install Civ2 MGE so that it won't conflict with the Classic Civ2 that's already installed in the C:\mps\Civ2 folder? According to the installation instructions in the Civ2 MGE manual, the game files will be installed into the C:\mps\Civ2 folder unless I indicate a different folder. What do you recommend?

As per Mercator above, I'd recommend naming the new folder C:\mps\Civ2MGE. Just indicate the new folder name in the installation routine. (Owing to some Civ II work I've been doing, I now have all four: Civ2, Civ2MGE, Civ2FW, and Civ2ToT.)

As for your other question, I'm guessing that the videos, etc. cannot be installed in a common directory without getting into some *.ini files. Probably be easier just to install them a second time. ...

Top Bottom