How bout we plit imperial Rome and Republic Rome into 2 different Civs?

seconded though I think we should start a new thread about Civic discussion

Well, my point about civics was meant to answer your OP. It seems to me that the distinction between Roman Republic and Roman Empire is not so much a distinction between two different civilizations, but a distinction between two different civics. I hope that Civ5's “social policies” will be more distinctive and unique than Civ4's civics, thus allowing to differentiate more sharply between empires and ancient republics.

on that note I do agree that civics should be a lot more unique in their effects. Also I think a cool feature would be if the longer one stayed in a civic the more bonus' and malus' would build up from being in that civic. people get set in their ways, systems become more efficient and then less efficient, overburdened and too large. It would be cool if these sort of mechanisms could encourage Civs to both stay the course for a while then later be forced to switch because a system is collapsing (i.e the 500 year old Roman Republic which was broken as a legal system at that point)

I think it would be better to have a Rise and Fall of Rome mod instead of having two Roman civilizations in the main game. You should check out the RFRE mod for Civ IV as a base, it does an excellent job of representing the history of Roman civilization, and how it became the greatest empire in history.

on that note I do agree that civics should be a lot more unique in their effects. Also I think a cool feature would be if the longer one stayed in a civic the more bonus' and malus' would build up from being in that civic. people get set in their ways, systems become more efficient and then less efficient, overburdened and too large. It would be cool if these sort of mechanisms could encourage Civs to both stay the course for a while then later be forced to switch because a system is collapsing (i.e the 500 year old Roman Republic which was broken as a legal system at that point)

I like this very much, and maybe a system could also start to break down due to a rapid over-expansion (whether physically, culturally, or economically), as it was the over-expansion of land which was one of the reasons for the Republic's collapse (due to the high stakes nature of Roman politics).

@b Shanahan

I like that idea too. The effects of expansion should exaggerate the inefficient growth of an older system converted to during a much smaller empire.

Also I think we have to see how many city states there are going to be. There should probably be a lot more in my view than there were in Civ4 (in which case I mean barb cities). A large portion of expansion should be conquering local city states and assimilating them. very much like what Rome, the Greeks (though many of the cities were in fact greek ethnic cities) but you get my point. I think it would add some flavor to the early game.

However, this would detract from the 'perfect city placement' bug we all suffer from in the need to plan the locations of all our cities as a group.

@b Shanahan

I like that idea too. The effects of expansion should exaggerate the inefficient growth of an older system converted to during a much smaller empire.

Also I think we have to see how many city states there are going to be. There should probably be a lot more in my view than there were in Civ4 (in which case I mean barb cities). A large portion of expansion should be conquering local city states and assimilating them. very much like what Rome, the Greeks (though many of the cities were in fact greek ethnic cities) but you get my point. I think it would add some flavor to the early game.

However, this would detract from the 'perfect city placement' bug we all suffer from in the need to plan the locations of all our cities as a group.

And it would have the advantage of being historically accurate, as even a country as (geographically) small as England was very divided until at least the late middle-ages. As regards the perfect city placement, I always wondered why cities aren't allowed to trade food and production between them (as in a hammer rich city could give a % of its hammers to a food rich city for the same % in food) it would be a nice mechanic IMO and reduce the need to have perfect placements.

As regards the perfect city placement, I always wondered why cities aren't allowed to trade food and production between them (as in a hammer rich city could give a % of its hammers to a food rich city for the same % in food) it would be a nice mechanic IMO and reduce the need to have perfect placements.
It was available in Civ 2 (caravans!!!). It allowed for cities in the wastes or tundras if you wanted to mine 4 gold or such fancy stuff. A lot of micromanagement, though, but quite fun.

frankly I wonder why we even have one Rome much less two

It was available in Civ 2 (caravans!!!). It allowed for cities in the wastes or tundras if you wanted to mine 4 gold or such fancy stuff. A lot of micromanagement, though, but quite fun.

I came to gaming after Civ 2 so thats why I don't remember it.

Hey, France went from Monarchy to Republic to Empire !
So I think it deserves one civilization for the France in 1788, one for the France in 1794, and one for the France in 1803 !
After all, there were serious civic and cultural changes during these periods !

:confused:

The caravan idea is a good one but, excepting raw material transfer, I'd like to see a lot more inter-city group production in the industrial/refrigeration era and later(non-wonders of course or industrial era wonder can be really really expensive and have restrictions on other city contribution or something) and especially food transfer allowing for truly massive cities, limited perhaps by water supply (which can be aqueduct-ed from a series of limited sources or something? i.e. Los Angeles and the Sierras). It would be nice as you could say make your rifles in one city and train your troops in another.

The caravan idea is a good one but, excepting raw material transfer, I'd like to see a lot more inter-city group production in the industrial/refrigeration era and later(non-wonders of course or industrial era wonder can be really really expensive and have restrictions on other city contribution or something) and especially food transfer allowing for truly massive cities, limited perhaps by water supply (which can be aqueduct-ed from a series of limited sources or something? i.e. Los Angeles and the Sierras). It would be nice as you could say make your rifles in one city and train your troops in another.

Colorado River and the Sacramento River too! (stupid SoCal people stealing our water)

Top Bottom