1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How Can a Player Make This Not Happen So Much?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Jan 10, 2019.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

I get a perfectly wonderful, possibly even great start, but sure enough before I can get past turn 10, I have another civ breathing down my neck.

It really is a fun-sucker to have deal with this over and over again just because I'm playing above King. I load a Huge map, I subtract two opponent civ's, and I trim the numbers of CS's from 18 to 12. These steps don't seem to be giving civ's more space. Has anyone figured out a loadout that will stop the madness? Squeezeplay.PNG

I know I can attack, or make a longer-term loyalty play against it, I know I could welcome the potential alliance, but these squeeze plays really kill my enjoyment when i find out that I'm in a squeeze play. It's a bummer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Currently trying Large maps with a Standard number of civs. NOT working so far.

3. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

GlobalParameters.xml, line 497 - bump up the separation distance by 2 or 3 hexes. The number indicated in red below:
    <Replace Name="START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION" Value="9" />
    I don't even know if 9 is the default value, to be honest. I may have edited it last year.

Path to the GlobalParameters.xml file :
    \Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data

Spicer likes this.
  4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Just keep rerolling.

It sucks.

5. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

And in the category of "it's tough all over", here's a reroll. Somebody's going to have a bad game, if perhaps a short one....

Squeezeplay01.PNG

6. jddods

jddods Chieftain

I often like to play large maps, half the civs and max CS. Lots of barbs.

7. man_in_finance

man_in_finance Chieftain

Have you tried using the "balanced start" option. I use this and get reasonable results. I also use "abundant resources", it makes trading more interesting and doesn't ruin your game later if you find your entire continent doesn't have 'x'.
    On higher difficulties I quite appreciate the other civs. If you invest in units early and wait in spots of land where they will expand you can usually grab their settlers and give yourself a well needed boost.
    If you encompass them loyalty attacks will definitely be on the cards.

Obviously I dislike being flanked on all sides but, anecdotally, this seems quite uncommon.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Strangely my 3 most recent games I've had plenty of room. Just luck of the draw I guess. Difficulty level doesn't seem to matter as I've seen ai's right up in my face on Prince difficulty.

9. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Biggest current problem with VI, IMO. It doesn't always seem to matter if you lessen the civs, the remaining ones spawn clumped up anyway... Between the spawn clustering and the forward settling, it's deflating to say the least. Great game if they would just give you a little room to settle.

There is a mod that lets you set min spawn distances between major and minor civs. That helps, but even then you have to set it above the recommended values to achieve a decent amount of room.

10. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Well, it only matters insomuch as at Emperor and up, the AI gets extra settlers, which is what happened here. Then, they get boosted production, superior ability to spam settlers, and no real motivation not to do so.

FWIW, that city depicted in the OP belonged to Georgia, using her extra settler. Greece's starting location was also spitting distance away, and Pericles wound up taking the Georgian capital with about 10 warriors. As Georgia's second and final city was trying to spit out one last settler gasp, I DOW'ed her and snatched it up, which consequently made Pericles want to be my friend. Since I'm playing the Cree, my mugs let me ramp up pop faster than either of them, and the city flipped from loyalty. Greece got mire into trying to capture this city, which it couldn't do well since it didn't bring ranged units. Loyalty flipped it to my side and he went home.

So, now I'm kind of stuck at four cities, with Greece and Brazil choking me for space. I did not get to do much exploring, but the Cree are well-positioned to have a classical golden age nonetheless. I am at the bottom of the continent, so there's a vast expanse of tundra which is going to keep spawning barbs. Guess I'll just keep them for GA points.

The long and short of it is, I suspect I'm going to boredquit this game sooner rather than later, but inevitable expansion warfare may spur it along a bit longer.

11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I think this may play a part. I haven't looked at the code, so I'm just going by my experience playing the game, but my hypothesis is that the game arranges starting positions by their relative strengths, and assigns start positions by each Civs' ability to make use of the terrain around each start position. In essence, I think your wonderful start needed to be balanced somehow, and having a competitor right up in your grill was the price paid for a position rich resources and fresh water and everything else.

You might be able to improve the odds of getting a roomier start position (I do think there's a random element) by playing a Civ with an unusual start bias. If my hypothesis holds, Russia, for example, may be more likely to having some elbow room because there aren't many other civs that can make good use of Tundra, while portions of the map that are appealing to a number of civs would be more crowded.

12. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

Did you try Inland Sea Map? True, I tried only one, but in that game I only made first contact with AI on turn 90 or something like that (standard size map, speed and AI number) and not from the lack of trying. I was put alone on the northern part of the map with 20 to 30+ of free tiles to the left and to the right, all AIs somehow grouped more to the South, SE and SW.

Alexadamz likes this.
  13. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

I had the same experience once. In fact I had one AI close, but it was on the other side of a big range of mountains with just one small passage and I went the other way with my first scout, because of the movement costs, and so it took more than 50 turns to find the first AI, although I had one close by. Inland Sea is indeed one map in which I usually get more breathing space.

14. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

I reroll maps constantly on Huge because of AIs spawning within 10 hexes of me. It drives me nuts, especially when I see Montezuma, America, or Gilgamesh.

steveg700 likes this.
  15. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Yes balanced start actually helps a lot. You will still occasionally roll right next to an AI, but you'll have a good starting position at least.

I also like to run New World options. It won't stop the AI from spawning near you, but it will slow down their movement as they have to get through a lot of hils first.

steveg700 likes this.
  16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

So I have seen one thing that seemed to help in my current game, though it may be a fluke, so take it with a grain of salt. I am playing with a mod that reduces city spacing limits by 1. Actually, to be honest, I can't tell which of my mods is doing this, it may actually be a conflict between mods. I've played with these mods before. I'm not a big fan of it, honestly, but that's my personal preference. But I do notice the AI cities are very clumped up, and they seem to not put their cities in far away places. It really helped with AI loyalty as well, I seen very few AI cities go to free cities.

TLDR reducing city spacing kept AI cities closer together, and less likely to forward settle me.

17. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

I play huge and fractal, and it's really not too bad... fractal seems to make a big difference...

18. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

Does anyone know if I made this up in my head or if it's real?

The game will attempt to place two civs per continent.

If true, playing larger sizes won't help since there will simply be more civs and equalye more continents.

You could try playing with lower water level, that should make the continents bigger, or find a map type that has larger continents, or if you play a water type map you should be isolated.

19. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

You made that up in your head. Civ placement has nothing to do with the assigned continents.

20. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Fractal is usually the winner for me, Sometimes an AI is very close, but that is rarely. Most of the time they seem to spawn far away,
    enough to put 8 cities down, but only if you forward settle them. Now I miss that China game I started, my own peninsula and more
    land to the southwest, while Mapuche started NE of me. Over the water of the peninsula.

I forgot to save this great jungle-start, because Netflix said so... :)

tedhebert likes this.