1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I avoid to waste hammer or food?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mikezang, Mar 10, 2006.

1. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

I heard that I don&t need to micromanage my city production, but I found that the hammer/food still wasted, what can I do? May I have to do as in civ3?

2. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Well you can use governors (automation) to manage each city. I personally do not do this, but they are usually pretty good about keeping things straight. Plus, you can customize what they should emphasize.

In order to not waste anything, you need to pick your improvements carefully. I usually maneuver it such that I have an even amount of food available so halting growth manually is much easier. Telling the governor to "halt growth" can be wasteful.

3. TCGTRF

TCGTRF Warlord

What do you mean by wasted?

Tom

4. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

The only instance where you lose production is when you have a production overflow that is larger than the item that is being produced. The production overflow to the next build is capped at the production cost of the present build. This is actually seldom a problem. It can be a problem when you chop a lot of forests in one turn while building something cheap. So if you're building a 15 hammer warrior while chopping 3 forests, then a lot of production will be wasted. The simple answer is, don't do that.
    You can stop the workers from chopping the forests and let them do something else. The time spent on chopping the forests is remembered by the game, so you don't waste worker turns by doing that.

I can't think of an instance where food overflow doesn't work.

Note that in the earlier versions of this game, production overflow was bugged. You should have version 1.52 of this game to have it work properly.

Does this help?

5. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

I thought mikezang was referring to the "halt growth" automation. If the food tiles aren't balanced, then this is wasteful.

BTW, quick side topic:
    I notice this is the case for every kind of improvement. Do you know if this decays like production spent on something or research spent on an abandaoned tech?

6. TCGTRF

TCGTRF Warlord

No it does not. As a matter of fact, you can walk your workers away with one turn left and then chop all the forests in one turn when you're making a wonder with high requirements like the Pyramids. This is called "pre-chopping."

Tom

7. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

That could be. The post is not very detailed...

AFAIK, there's no decay rate. But I haven't tested it for a long duration. Normally I finish the improvements within a reasonable amount of time and if I don't, then I don't remember how far they were finished. ;) I also heard others (like TCGTRF above) say that it didn't decay.

8. Bushface

Bushface Deity

Although some hammers do get carried over from overproduction, the program's calculation of their quantity is either very complex or somewhat random. It certainly is not as much as simple arithmetic would appear to give, nor is it directly related either to the cost of either the old or new production nor to the amount of overproduction due to possible production bonuses. Some examples which I noted from an old game :-
    City prod. 234 hammers, built MechInf costing 200, excess 34; carryover was only 16.
    City prod. 185 hammers, built Tank costing 180, excess 5, carryover just 1.
    City prod. 345 (57 carryover, 58 basic, +200%), built Mod Arm costing 240, excess 105, carryover 57.
    Next turn, same city & production, same excess, but carryover this time 40.

Overproduction carryover of Research does appear to be based on simple arithmetic, but I can't give exact figures unless somebody can tell me how to find out exactly how many flasks I produce each turn. Costs, yes, but not quantity.

9. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Are you using the latest patch, Bushface? There was an overflow bug in version 1.00 and 1.09 of the game. Note that the overflow of research is still bugged in version 1.52.

If you're using version 1.52 of the game, then show me some screenshots where you're positioning the mouse over the production values in a city so that I can see what's happening. I'm pretty certain that there's no bug in production overflow in version 1.52 of this game.

10. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

I am using v1.52, I attached two screenshots, I think the overflow is wasted like in civ3 if I don't do micromanagement by myself.

Attached Files:

11. Ljdjr

Ljdjr Warlord

Mikezang If you think the overflow is being wasted because it says 0/100 next to the production bar, then that's the same thing that got me.

You need to hover your mouse over the number and Hammer icon to the left of the production bar and it will tell you how many hammers from the city that turn + how many hammers are being carried over.

Hope this helps.

12. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

I agree with Ljdjr. You're probably just misinterpreting some of the information that the game provided you. I'll show you how the overflow works by showing you three screenshots.

Here you see a building that just needs 6 more hammers to be completed.

You see that the city has a base production level of 26 and a production bonus of 50%. If the city would have a base production level of 4 and a 50% bonus (totalling a production of 6), then the building would be exactly completed with no overflow. So the base production is 22 hammers too high.

In this last image, you can see that the 22 base production from the previous build are added to the base production level of the first turn of the next build.

Attached Files:

13. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

Yeah, I saw that, thanks a lot.