How Can I Maintain Happiness While Conquering Civs?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nlmh71, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Nlmh71

Nlmh71 Chieftain

Hello everyone, at the moment I'm playing a Prince-level domination game as the Mongols. It's the medieval era and I've conquered 2 city-states and the Chinese (5 cities) with my army. Unfortunately I'm having major issues with happiness.

I've only been able to afford 3 courthouses, as 600g in the medieval era is expensive. I have around 4-5 varieties of luxury resources in my empire and the honor policies granting happiness, but I'm still stuck with 4 angry puppet cities.

My neighbor, Germany, is extremely vulnerable and I'd like to continue my conquest, but with happiness levels around -13 I'm hesitating going to war with him, as more puppet cities would only serve to compound the problem.

What can I do to increase happiness? I have the Colosseum in all my cities and have built the Circus Maximus, all to no avail. The other civs expect ridiculous amounts of gold and resources for a simple luxury resource for 30 turns. Am I forced to wait to increase happiness before continuing with my conquest?

2. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

Become a honorable fascist theocratic state.

3. darune

darune Chieftain

Burn the cities to the ground and plow salt into the earth.

Seriously though if you want to make them puppets - eventually they too will build a coluseum.
    Happiness can be managed - well to some extent at least. But between social policies and buildings there are so many different combinations that its impossible to say one is superior to the other. The important thing is not getting into the negativ 2 digit happiness. Its also one the things in the game that requires much preplanning to really pull off. One Ive found though is opening "Order" policy when you get to industrial era - thats my new happiness fix !

4. LostInTime

LostInTime Warlord

Trade post spam puppets so they don't grow and give you more unhappiness. This will give you more gold as well.

- Grab luxuries from either AI's or CS.
    - Try getting Circus Maximus up reasonably soon, it helps a lot.
    - Utilize your SP. Garrison scouts if you go honor helps loads. They are pretty cheap to build or buy, so it's not hard to do.

Later on you will have other SP to help as well, so use them. Happiness isn't that hard, just pace yourself. If you get "stuck" start razing crap cities instead of keeping them.

5. Acidrain

Acidrain Chieftain

Tech towards happyness building techs and adopt social policies which give happyness. Build all happyness buildings in every city and a annexed city with a courthouse + happyness buildings produces less unhappy faces than a puppeted city, this has one downside tho, social policies gonna delay a lot.

Usually when i'm on rampage, and happyness gets less than -10, I just annex the biggest puppet city I have and build courthouse + all happyness buildings there. Usually then I'm on positive number again with happyness.

I always try to have all the luxuries for my empire, which means, trade/buy luxury resources from AI and check City States which give a luxury you dont have, and then buy their alliance to get that resource. If you have some luxury resources more than one, then sell them for gold to AI or just trade for another resource. If you sell... buy City State alliance who gives a luxury resource you dont have. Constantly sell your open borders for gold, so you can buy city states better and I always adopt PATRONAGE policy tree, it makes the game so much easier.

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Since you have the Honour policies up to Professional Army:

build walls/castles in all cities. (since you've already got coliseums/Circus Maximus)

If Notre Dame isn't gone yet (at Education) go grab it for +10 happiness.

Definitely garrison a unit in every city. +1 happy and +2 culture is worth the time it takes. (I'd say stop the march forward and use your current units for this. Build scouts and replace each garrison with them so you can have your army back)
    - If you do this, then go into Tradition->Oligarchy to remove the maintenance costs of the garrisoned units. They'll eventually become very expensive, maintenance wise, so it's best to do that early.

If you've finished the Honour policy already, then declare war on Germany and sit back killing their units. You'll get gold/unit killed which can fund the courthouses for the last few puppets.

You can also take Piety->Organized Religion to get +1happy from each monument and temple. This adds up really fast; and puppets like to build both culture buildings and defensive buildings.

7. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

build some TPs on hills in your puppets but leave the grasslands empty, so the hills get worked automatically. This will slow down growth in your puppets and also boost production. Go for organized religion and your puppets should all build walls/castles/monuments/temples relatively quickly, each providing +1 happy. When those have been built go back and TP the rest of the land. Also make sure any horses/stone/ivory is hooked up so the puppets build circuses & stoneworks.

8. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

This is something I do as well. Since your puppets always do Gold focus, you can influence them to also get some production buy placing TPs. With production, they will then build happy buildings more quickly, plus culture and defense buildings which can get you happiness depending on SPs.

9. vexing

vexing knows

sell the worst cities. easiest way to deal with very unhappy.

10. drudometkin

drudometkin Chieftain

Order opening policy. +1 happiness per city. I went from 1 happiness to +26 in one turn. :)

11. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

MadDjinn's advice is rock solid.

Going for walls+castles on Honor gives you +2 happiness per city, on top of what's available with Colosseums. Try to get multiple cities having Horses so you can build more Circuses. Scout Garrisons add +1 per city on top of that.

Depending on focus, you can either cut down on unit maintenance via MadDjinn's Tradition-Oligarchy suggestion, or get more happiness using Liberty-Meritocracy, or Piety-Organized Religion (with monuments and temples).

Conservatively, assuming you can get the necessary hammers, walls+castles+garrison+temple+monument+colosseum adds up to +7 happiness per city over and above what you get with +16 on 4 luxuries and +9 for Prince level. You can get +10 more from Notre Dame and +4 more from Chichen Itza (IIRC). In addition, each discovered Natural Wonder gives you +1 happiness empire wide.

12. paceybaby

paceybaby Chieftain

Also the forbidden palace is pretty sweet too. Just seen my happiness go from 1 to 77!!! Yes 77!!

Will be making sure I use a GE for that in future

13. TW_Honorius

TW_Honorius Warlord

also, whenyou prepare for war, you need to check your happiness. make sure you can afford to take cities, if not, burn them down. you cannot blitzkrieg without some penalities and if you do not prepare.

14. Artingel78

Artingel78 Elephant Commander

I have the same problem in game i playing now, with China. I'm conqured 1 city state and Hiawatha(6cities)and my Empire is happy:cool: now :cool::cool::cool:.
    And i have 7 my own cities and Persopolis from 31. Turn.
    Now i have Unhappiness only 3-4 and in some turns i have happiness +3.
    I have simple recipe.(I don't have Circus Maxsimus)
    You need very much of luxuries and Horses near your cities.I have luck to have horses near almost all of my cities,so i have circus in almost all my cities:D:D:D.I have lot of Coliseums and lot of money.I have military caste Social Policy and Garrisoned unit in all my cities(almost all:D:D:D:D:D).I'm also change wine for cotton with Isabella.So the point is try to exchange, adopt Military Caste, build Ciruses, and have fun:D:D:D
    O and i also play on prince like you.

15. Ceterius

Ceterius Warlord

How can you have such a huge population at the time when Forbidden Palace is built?

16. druidravi

druidravi King

He might have captured it .

17. Ceterius

Ceterius Warlord

I never sell cities because AI has unlimited happiness and I may have to conquer them later.