How can I make the ICBM's movable..?

DOmar1990

Warlord
Hey, I want to make the ICBM's able to move from the city where it was built to another one, just like the Tactical Nuke that can move between cities, including foreign ones.

I know that this have to be very easy to make... but I have check into the UnitInfo.xml and didn't find where to make it movable between cities.

I want to build ICBM's and get them out to a secret place, so if my nation gets completely nuked, at least I have secured my nuclear arsenal to fire back (otherwise all my ICBM's will be destroyed by the nuclear attack on my cities...)

Ah! I do not look at that little difference when trying to figure it out... hehe. You should start billing me for your help, and establish a direct line to you .25 cents the minute :lol:
Thanks! :)

Hey, I want to make the ICBM's able to move from the city where it was built to another one, just like the Tactical Nuke that can move between cities, including foreign ones.

I know that this have to be very easy to make... but I have check into the UnitInfo.xml and didn't find where to make it movable between cities.

I want to build ICBM's and get them out to a secret place, so if my nation gets completely nuked, at least I have secured my nuclear arsenal to fire back (otherwise all my ICBM's will be destroyed by the nuclear attack on my cities...)

Just so newer modders are clear about this, this won't actually allow your ICBM to move (like a land or sea unit). It allows a rebase from city to city. In order to allow rebase to naval vessels (which really SHOULD have been done for the vanilla game), there's a little more involved (such as changing the XML values governing what and how many said ship(s) can carry).

I suggest giving the ICBM and Tactical (any and all air units, actually) a movement allowance of two so you can sentry it within the same turn as rebase.

I guess they didn't implement loading ICBM into ships simply because ICBM has a global range. Rebasing them around cities still make sense as I don't wanna leave them lying in coastal or border cities. But what is the point of loading them into missile cruisers since you can launch them anywhere? Unless you really wanna act as a friendly nation with no nukes when in reality you have 1000 IBCMs all in your cruisers...

I guess they didn't implement loading ICBM into ships simply because ICBM has a global range. Rebasing them around cities still make sense as I don't wanna leave them lying in coastal or border cities. But what is the point of loading them into missile cruisers since you can launch them anywhere? Unless you really wanna act as a friendly nation with no nukes when in reality you have 1000 IBCMs all in your cruisers...

Are they global? I may be wrong - since I made sure mine were - but it strikes me that ICBMs have (vanilla) a wider but still not totally global range.

In reality, most ballistic missiles are CANNOT reach anywhere on the globe. Even space-based systems must have a certain targeting range that takes loads of effort to even adjust (for example, currently most USA global reaching missiles are targeted at the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and would take HOURS to retask even one of them).

Anyway, if the patches made the ICBMs in Civ 4 truly global, then there's no need to load them onto ships anywhere. Well, maybe...if you're at war and getting your arse handed to you. You may need a good place to hide your nuclear arsenal, right? :) Ships grouped into protective fleets well hidden in the polar regions are REALLY good for that...

Are they global? I may be wrong - since I made sure mine were - but it strikes me that ICBMs have (vanilla) a wider but still not totally global range.

In reality, most ballistic missiles are CANNOT reach anywhere on the globe. Even space-based systems must have a certain targeting range that takes loads of effort to even adjust (for example, currently most USA global reaching missiles are targeted at the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and would take HOURS to retask even one of them).

Anyway, if the patches made the ICBMs in Civ 4 truly global, then there's no need to load them onto ships anywhere. Well, maybe...if you're at war and getting your arse handed to you. You may need a good place to hide your nuclear arsenal, right? :) Ships grouped into protective fleets well hidden in the polar regions are REALLY good for that...

ICBM's are global range... or at least on Civ 4: Complete Edition. The ones with limited range are the Tactical Nukes. I was not thinking about putting the ICBM's into ships, but is a nice idea carring the ICBM's on nuclear submarines and get them below the ice of the poles in order to hide them and act like I dont have it. I was thinking on founding a city on a polar island or some polar mass to hide my nuclear weapons because players dont use to check the polar sites of the map while gaming... But will be nice carring the ICBM's on subs so if they discover my subs there, I just can move them to anywhere on the vast ocean to prevent an attack to destroy them; different from a city that if I dont leave strong protection, it can be easily taken and razed.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was looking for similar info and I preferred not to start a new one.

I have made the described change to ICBM by setting it to DOMAIN_AIR, and also set it to SPECIALUNIT_MISSILE like the tactical nuke and cruise missile, so that it can be loaded onto submarines and cruisers in addition to being rebased, which it does nicely, but there is still an odd problem.
The ICBM is now rendered floating in the air, like the standard cruise missile, which looks quite odd both in game and in the civilopedia as it is vertical. It would probably look better if horizontal, but the idea is that it should be resting on the ground like before. The strange thing is that the tactical nuke has almost the same properties but it is correctly rendered with its rear end resting on the ground, despite being an air unit.
Anyone has any idea of what could be causing this?

Different animations, that's it.
Changing the animations is probably nothing which is easy to do here :/.

I looked into it a bit more and finally solved it! It was just an art def tag in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml, <bActAsLand>. Finally I can have my ICBMs just like I want them.

Top Bottom