How can I stop my mom from smoking in my room??

I am asserting that secondhand smoke by some guy walking by you is harmless. That breathing it in at a restaurant as a patron would be harmless -- I do support bans there since wait staff would be exposed to it more or less as part of working. The dangers have absolutly been exaggerated in those circumstances.

To be honest, those situations aren't relevant to the specifics of the OP, since we're talking day-to-day domecile.

(I really wish people would stay tight to the OPs and not run Geronimo with the discussions)

To be honest, those situations aren't relevant to the specifics of the OP, since we're talking day-to-day domecile.

(I really wish people would stay tight to the OPs and not run Geronimo with the discussions)

Well yes I ran OT... couldn't help my self >.> the whole "there's a guy smoking 10 feet away from me! I'm going to die!" hysteria that gets smoking banned outdoors is really irksome to me.

First off, having the smell of cigarette smoke all over my stuff makes it hard on me (I have mild asthma). Second, she keeps dropping them and burning holes in my stuff!!! :mad:

I tried putting up a No Smoking sign in my bedroom, and she tore it down, saying that because she pays the rent she can smoke where she wants to. (In reality, my mom's too lazy to work so welfare pays the rent -- I work to pay for my computer and stuff.)

I tried talking reasonably to her, but she said the same thing again, never mind she has the rest of the apartment to smoke in.

Any suggestions? :confused:

I would never tolerate anyone smoking in my room. (When I lived at my parents's I bought a lock for my door; I hardly used it, as the message came across loud and clear.) Ban her from your room or - as suggested - get your own place.

BTW, while a smoker myself, I do not smoke in the presence of non-smokers/children.

We're talking about logical fallacies, thank you very much. :pat: It should have been obvious from the construct "how many fallacies..."

Actually, you were talking about 'statements' as indicated by the first word of the arguement: 'statement'. Try parsing your own comments better for a change instead of continually trying to sell yourself as some sort of logical fallacy expert while still insisting silly things like the word fallacy only pertains to arguement.

This:

Statements can't be fallacious.

Is your quote and is in error.

Your inability to recognize the word has multiple uses is shocking.

Your inability to recognize the word has multiple uses is shocking.

Your inability to realize that I was using it in the only relevant manner and specifically the manner in which me and Forma were talking about (logical fallacies of either the formal or informal kind) is shocking. :confused:

Again, context, Mobby, context. Seem to have this problem lately.

Your inability to realize that I was using it in the only relevant manner and specifically the manner in which me and Forma were talking about (logical fallacies) is shocking. :confused:

Again...the parrot. I think I am going to have to start sending Bill E-crackers.

Again, Bill, your comment wasnt simply just inclusive of logical fallacy, but rather what a statment can or cant be in regards to fallacy. A statement can indeed be a fallacy.

Context? Here it is:

Thats the context. Its simply in error.

Again...the parrot. I think I am going to have to start sending Bill E-crackers.

Good, I'm hungry. :yumyum:

MobBoss said:
Context? Here it is:

Thats the context. Its simply in error.

No, that's not context. Here's the context:

Formaldehyde said:
I'm not the one who is claiming he is going to die from a tumor because his mommy comes into his room on rare occasion while smoking a cigarette. How many fallacies are in that patently absurd statement?

Bill3000 said:
Statements can't be fallacious. Fallacies are about arguments, i.e. a set of statements, not claims

In this context, it's quite obvious that by fallacious, I meant "having the property of containing fallacies" and by fallacies, it's with regards to "logical fallacies". This should be noted by the plural of fallacies in Formaldehyde's statement. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fallacyLooking at the definition that you've shown, the non-obsolete meanings which do not mean "logical fallacy" means:

2 a: a false or mistaken idea <popular fallacies> b: erroneous character : erroneousness
However, a statement is a single idea. Also, the character of a statement doesn't make any sense if you were to pluralize it (erroneousnesses of a statement?) So, in this context, one statement can contain one fallacy. However, Formaldehyde was referring to fallacies, and an argument can indeed hold more than one logical fallacy, so it's quite clear that he was talking about logical fallacies of the form ad hominem, tu quoque, red herrings, et cetera - the informal logical fallacies, for the most part. Thus, my post was entirely in context and the implied meanings of the terms "fallacy" and "fallacious" correct.

All this talk about fallacies and silly things like logic aren't going to make Aimee's mother stop smoking in her room!

What you need is rhetoric!

All this talk about fallacies and silly things like logic aren't going to make Aimee's mother stop smoking in her room!

What you need is rhetoric!

aspergers can't do rhetoric :(

So Bill in your opinion is it tantamount to child abuse to live in polluted New York?

So Bill in your opinion is it tantamount to child abuse to live in polluted New York?

If that pollution was inside a single home, sure.

Bill3000 said:
If that pollution was inside a single home, sure.

So if you let a child walk around outside knowing that airborne pollution might pose a health risk you wouldn't class that as child abuse?

So if you let a child walk around outside knowing that airborne pollution might pose a health risk you wouldn't class that as child abuse?

I don't live in the city, so you won't blackmail me into refusing to admit that living in it is tantamount to child abuse. :p

Bill3000 said:
I don't live in the city, so you won't blackmail me into refusing to admit that living in it is tantamount to child abuse.

I'm simply asking a hypothetical question about a hypothetical situation. I prefer to call it 'role-playing'. Nevertheless I'll take my victories as they come and be glad for them.

The two scenarios would be equivalent, but for the fact that you can actually prevent exposing your family to second hand smoke, as opposed to pollution, which is really beyond your control.

As for the pollution, you can, you know, regulate it with laws and stuff.

Top Bottom