1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I stop my mom from smoking in my room??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jul 7, 2009.

1. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

Sure you can! Rhetoric has with it a few rules and guidelines that I'm sure you could learn to incorporate in time. :)

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I find it disturbing how many posters seem to think aimee is a guy.

3. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Tak the advice of Valka, since she has asthma, like I do and you do. Thankfully i was never subjected to your situation, but any kind of smoke makes me feel sick, which is why I generally do not go out much, since even outside there is too much smoke at venues and that is very disturbing Just ask you mum why she is trying to kill you. That is the best advice I have heard about this situation. That would work even if you did not have asthma and it is even stronger since you do have asthma.

4. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Tough . .. .. .. .. You could have had the same reaction to the exhaust from a bus or maybe even some vile perfume. It's not a reason to ban smoking outdoors.

While I sympathize greatly, the temporary risk to those with asthma doesn't outweigh the rights of 20% of the population.

Moderator Action: Warned - language. Please refrain from swearing in the forums.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

5. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

This is how I usually react to people who get up in arms about smoking outdoors. If they ever sit in traffic, they're getting bad air too. If they're so sensitive that they can't be around the slightest air pollution, I would suggest a gas mask or perhaps a giant bubble.

6. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

Wrong thread.

7. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Get a boyfriend. Be in bed with him a lot... she is unlikely to stay in the room with you then!

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Where did I say anything about banning smoking outdoors? Although I happen to think that's an excellent thing to do at outdoor events where there are a lot of people clustered together in a relatively small space. This is why I don't go to the local folk festival anymore. The way the event runs, the stage is down beside a pond, and the audience sits on the hillside above the stage (like an ancient outdoor theatre, but without seats). There are so many people there that it's nearly impossible to move anywhere else, once you get your territory staked out. And while I do pay attention to which way the wind is blowing and hold my breath if necessary, there are times when this is simply impossible. And do the smokers use ash trays and clean up their butts when they leave?

Nope. At least, most of them don't. So it got to the point where the cons outweighed the pros, and I now stay home on Canada Day... sad, since I used to enjoy the Folk Festival. But my lungs come first.

As for perfume, yes, I'm allergic to that as well. That's why I started home-based businesses instead of working for somebody else. This way I get to control my own environment and don't have to smell other peoples' perfume, cologne, and makeup (even lipstick is revoltingly smelly to me).

Bus exhaust is bad... but then I'm not in the habit of standing around inhaling it. I don't drive, so I rarely sit in traffic. I don't actually go out much, but when I do I take sensible precautions to minimize my exposure.

@Lucy: As far as I'm concerned, it ought to be the smokers who have to wear the helmets. They have the right to pollute their own lungs if they wish, but not anyone else's.

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

:lol: Better yet, synchronize flatulate. The power of two young, healthy intestines....awesome.

10. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Actually, don't even bother with the hassel of a bf.

Get a rampant rabbit!

11. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

Have you tried telling her straight to her face: 'Stop smoking in my room. I have asthma. It's a disgusting habit. Why should I have to suffer at your expense?'

12. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Wow, there's a lot of advice here. Thanks everyone.

13. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

now that u mention... the above scenario sounds funny.... :mischief:

@aimee - u should talk to ur teacher... a guy teacher and let him talk to ur mom ;) nicely.

14. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

A lot of really bad advice.

The best bit of advice you could ever really pay attention to is:

Spoiler :
    Dont ask for advice on an anonymous game forum. Ever.

15. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I would hardly call most of what I said "bad advice." :mad:

Sure, the spray bottle is silly; it doesn't work too well on cats, and would only make the mother even harder to deal with. And putting a lock on the door without the apartment manager's permission might mean the loss of the damage deposit - not to mention needing the mom's permission to do it in the first place, since it's her name on the lease.

But I stand by everything else I said, as the sincerest, best advice I can think of. I've been in Aimee's shoes to some extent, and can fully sympathize with how frustrating this situation must be.

16. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

Why is she smoking in your room specifically? Aren't there other rooms?

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Can people stop hating on Aimee's mother? It's her mom for chrissake, even if we disagree with her smoking around her daughter, how would you feel if someone starting bashing your mom? Even if you started bashing my mother for things on my own I didn't like, I'd still get mad at you.

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

You should give her links of organisations to ask advice from, then.

19. vesley1987

vesley1987 Prince

I agree, I don't really think most of the 'advices' are helping, after all, her mom is her mom and deserve to be respected.
    I would advise Aimee to talk with her mom about this issue frankly and seriously,
    communication really helps.

20. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

Well than put your actions where your mouth is :lol::lol:

now seriously aimee follow his advise and don't apply what he said