1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I upload Models?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Soundwαvє ▼, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Soundwαvє ▼

Soundwαvє ▼ Chieftain

I know how to do 3D. So which soft I need to use or at least which format? Also there is some advice like the maximum polygons I should use or things about the mesh

Thanks in Advance!

2. Ajidica

Ajidica Nerevarine

The models need to be in .nif. People use Blender and 3DS Max, although 3DS Max is relativly expensive. For a multi-figure unit, polys should be under 1000 per model. Good luck with your modeling!

3. Soundwαvє ▼

Soundwαvє ▼ Chieftain

Thank you! But how can I solve the animation problem and I need to texture it previously in blender?

Thanks again!

4. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

textures need to be in .dds format and match the uvmap of the unit. It doesn't have to be pre-done in blender, but you should anyway to check it works.

There's a set of blender .nif export scripts around somewhere. Google it. You'll also need Nifskope for assisting with making the unit work, setting shaders and such.

5. Ajidica

Ajidica Nerevarine

I don't know what your animation issue is, but if the model is new, it needs to be rigged to an animation. There are a couple tutorials about that. In addition, animations can be made in 3DSMax or Blender.

6. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I can only recommend going through these three tutorials:
    How to make an unit with Blender - while this covers a bit of modelling (which you already have experience with), it also covers how to get it from Blender into CivIV.
    Animate with Blender and NifSkope - while this one teaches you how to use almost arbitrary skeletons - and how to animate them.
    Nifskope - this one is just very useful, because NifSkope is a very versatile tool you *need* to master, if you really want to create great models for CivIV.

In any case, everything I've ever learned about 3D models in CivIV, I've learned from there (and trial-and-error), so I think they are pretty good.

Cheers, LT.

7. Soundwαvє ▼

Soundwαvє ▼ Chieftain

Thank you guys! I'll look forward to it when I have enough time (still addicted to civ):lol:

Thanks