1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How can the mongols have done this?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Greyhawk1, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

Where did that city come from? I've barely researched halfway to the techs needed for map making and already they have researched it, built a galley, sailed it to the island and then built a scout?

If they popped a hut and got a settler then where did the scout come from? I have 3 units in that area 1 scout and 2 warriors and saw no mongol scout until that city appeared...

:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

Bah, tried to take the city which was undefended but the turn after I did so, a spearman appeared in it and killed both my warriors.

The turn after that the mongols entered into an alliance with the romans, appeared on my doorstep with a stack of warriors and took two of my cities. Game abandoned...

Bad start, so close to 2 civs.

3. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I suspect that they are further south on the continent you are on. I cannot see the Mongols getting galleys that fast. Might have had a scout pop a hut, or get booted by the Romans. Curraghs for some reason cannot transport, so that is out.

4. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

Just going to restart anyway. Cant recover well after losing two cities so easily. My capital is next. Warlord is supposed to be an easy level lol....

No biggie this early anyway.

5. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Close to two civ? Looks to me like you have a ton of room. Close is they are maybe 8 tiles away to start,

6. LowEndUserII

LowEndUserII Chieftain

I`ve seen "odd" Cities pop up on my coasts well before any Civ could research Maps too, I think it one of the several " undocumented features" in the game AI.....:scan:

7. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

One way I can see odd cities turn up on your continent or island, is if a military unit is asked to leave someones territory a couple of times, and the unit is moved automatically. In that way they may jump over ocean squares and go to a land mass where they normally wouldn't be able to go. (They'll be relocated to the closest land tile on the map which is outside the other players territory.) Imagine that military unit popping a settler from a goody hut on the new land mass…

In theory that should be possible. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Highly unlikely to really happen, but possible.

8. Gosnork

Gosnork Warlord

I don't see what is so amazing about that city. It looks like a Mongol scout popped a goody hut and got a settler.

9. darski

darski Regent in Training

We just had a photo of a unit that got booted in the way that Nicky H mentioned.

I have also learned to tolerate a stuck settler pair rather than risk giving them a free ride where I don't want them to be. it can happen

10. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

It was odd mainly because I had 3 units (1 stack) in that area covering the whole region where the city was and the city kind of just seemed to pop out of nowhere. I didnt see a scout nearby until the city popped.

I guess it could just have been a display bug since I had friendly movement animations off. Could be my HDD kicked in on that turn causing my comp to freeze a little and the scout to move in, pop the hut and found a city...its at pop 2 tho so dunno...just strange!

11. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

You can also pop a town with a scout, you get the message "a friendly Khoisan village wishes to join your empire". If you don't animate moves, you can miss alot. I would animate moves for everything unless you are getting alot of lag or tons of bombardment.

12. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Animating the AI moves I regard as vital, as it gives me an idea what the computer is doing, and what may be coming at me. I will put up with some lag time to get that information. Normally, I only have a problem or the 200 plus X 200 plus maps, with lots of units/barbarians on them.

13. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

Well I abandoned the game in the end anyway. I selected to animate moves now lol...

14. darski

darski Regent in Training

I animate all moves until it is time for pollution clean up. I just can't deal with following their every step so I turn off my moves then. I continue to watch every AI move like a hawk. There are often signals about what they are planning.