How can you support the Democrat Party?

Before I answer on behalf of someone I'm not, I would love to see a top 5 list of why you think POC continue to support Dems despite their QED flaws. I feel your perceptions are way more informative in this discussion than anything I could offer up.
@Berzerker - I also would like to hear your top 5 reasons as I agree that it will provide a much better insight on your perspective. When everyone is saying the grass is green while one guy is saying its yellow, its more productive for the guy that sees the grass as yellow to explain why he thinks its yellow than for one of the people seeing green to try to explain why they think its green. Everyone gets that its green, it doesn't need to be explained, but obviously you don't/can't/won't get it or you wouldn't be saying its yellow. So it is more productive for you to explain your perspective. That being said ...
I was 'chiding' Lexicus, he aint black... I was unaware the Democrats were trying to end the drug war, they authored it and this Mueller dude was one of its enforcers. The Dems have failed more than PoC, but I would like an explanation from PoC too. Why do they continually support a party that has jailed millions of people for drugs?
I tried to think about a thoughtful, but simple, anecdotal way of answering this that you would immediately get. Now by "get it", please understand that I don't mean agree with, I just mean comprehend.

So why do I, a black dude, who grew a black neighborhood support the Democrats instead of the Republicans? OK, simple... You, Berzerker are Republican/conservative voter/supporter right? You support George Zimmerman right? That's it. That's as simple and straightforward as I can make it. The folks in your party/political side of the aisle tend to be more likely to support George Zimmerman, whereas Democrats tend more to support Trayvon. That's why I can't support Republicans. I can't support a party who's membership has a higher tendency to be supportive of Zimmerman. For you to support Zimmerman establishes that your perspective is just way too opposed to mine for me to be in that party. So as long as you (the royal you) support Zimmerman, I could never be comfortable as a Republican.

Again, I don't expect you to agree. You've already explain that hypothetical black Berzerker would still be team Zimmerman, and that position in and of itself is another reason I support the Democrats instead of the Republicans... the fact that you just don't get it. I can't be in that party, cause you guys don't get it. You don't understand the flaw in your statement about what you would do "if you were black". You don't understand the underlying disrespect, you just don't get it. That's why I can't be Republican. You guys don't get it. The fact that you can rail on about slavery, and Jim Crow, Clinton etc., and not get why black people are overwhelmingly Democrats just underscores how out of touch you (the royal you) are. In a sense, the fact that you don't get, can't get why black people are Democrats is why black people aren't Republicans... cause Republicans just don't get it, they don't want to... in fact, they say things like "Well if I were black I wouldn't feel any different" just demonstrating that they don't even care to see our perspective... so why would we want to be a part of that party?

"We are actively driving you out, but just don't understand why you won't join us." - Republicans

I support Democrats more often than Republicans because the party currently known as the Democratic Party is very different from the Democrats when the GOP was young (that's a punny reference). The new Democrats could have called themselves the Progressives or kept the term "Radical Republicans" but McCarthyism really messed things up.

Personally, I'm a Utilitarian. I understand that a truly fair and just Libertarian government in a country with ample charities and no corporare monopolies is best but Progressive Liberals reach closer to the Utilitarian ideal than crony corporate types.

@Berzerker - I also would like to hear your top 5 reasons as I agree that it will provide a much better insight on your perspective. When everyone is saying the grass is green while one guy is saying its yellow, its more productive for the guy that sees the grass as yellow to explain why he thinks its yellow than for one of the people seeing green to try to explain why they think its green. Everyone gets that its green, it doesn't need to be explained, but obviously you don't/can't/won't get it or you wouldn't be saying its yellow. So it is more productive for you to explain your perspective. That being said ... I tried to think about a thoughtful, but simple, anecdotal way of answering this that you would immediately get. Now by "get it", please understand that I don't mean agree with, I just mean comprehend.

So why do I, a black dude, who grew a black neighborhood support the Democrats instead of the Republicans? OK, simple... You, Berzerker are Republican/conservative voter/supporter right? You support George Zimmerman right? That's it. That's as simple and straightforward as I can make it. The folks in your party/political side of the aisle tend to be more likely to support George Zimmerman, whereas Democrats tend more to support Trayvon. That's why I can't support Republicans. I can't support a party who's membership has a higher tendency to be supportive of Zimmerman. For you to support Zimmerman establishes that your perspective is just way too opposed to mine for me to be in that party. So as long as you (the royal you) support Zimmerman, I could never be comfortable as a Republican.

Again, I don't expect you to agree. You've already explain that hypothetical black Berzerker would still be team Zimmerman, and that position in and of itself is another reason I support the Democrats instead of the Republicans... the fact that you just don't get it. I can't be in that party, cause you guys don't get it. You don't understand the flaw in your statement about what you would do "if you were black". You don't understand the underlying disrespect, you just don't get it. That's why I can't be Republican. You guys don't get it. The fact that you can rail on about slavery, and Jim Crow, Clinton etc., and not get why black people are overwhelmingly Democrats just underscores how out of touch you (the royal you) are. In a sense, the fact that you don't get, can't get why black people are Democrats is why black people aren't Republicans... cause Republicans just don't get it, they don't want to... in fact, they say things like "Well if I were black I wouldn't feel any different" just demonstrating that they don't even care to see our perspective... so why would we want to be a part of that party?

To distill this down even further - when a POC tells you something is an issue they've experienced either 1st or 2nd hand, why are so many white people unwilling to believe them?

I surmise it comes down to three things

1. Foundation Loss - Basic foundations of how they imagine this country and society works is debased entirely.
2. Empirical Myopia - The disbelief that anything that can't be observed first hand by themselves is inherently suspect.
3. Racial Supremacy/Inferiority - The race of the source is the first distinguishing factor in establishing legitimacy of message.

Do you actually believe this?

Well yeah, the Democrats protected and spread slavery for ~75 years before it was banned. If the Republicans did that would you give them a pass? But they ended slavery instead and the Democrats replaced it with another century of terrorism and Jim Crow. That wasn't bad enough though, they welcomed black people to their war on drugs. Its clear which party has done more harm to black folk.

Nixon was a Democrat and Nancy Reagan told us to "Just try it"

Democrats wrote the drug laws enforced by Nixon and they enjoyed large majorities in control of the House for decades before and after him. Yes, I know the Republicans support the drug war... If that makes them racist and unworthy of support, how did Democrats become a morally acceptable option?

I totally think there is a genuine argument that Democrats haven't done enough to end the drug war. Berz is not making that argument.

Haven't done enough? I wish I could make that argument, but they authored the drug war and they've spent decades enforcing it. Why do you think BLM went after the Clintons? Mass incarceration of black people thanks to the drug war.

Berz's argument is especially hollow given Sessions, current AG and Republican, has reversed DOJ and prosecutorial discretion vis a vis drugs in contradiction to Obama policy.

Why does Sessions exonerate Democrats for giving him the power to enforce their laws?

What kind of person invokes historical record from 150 years ago as being crucially more important than the current AG's own record? And what kind of person holds one party to an impossible political standard, while they fall short of but make some effort towards?

Just a person showing Democrats have a long track record of persecuting people, especially people of color... But I'm not arguing slavery was crucially more important (it wasn't?), the OP is primarily about the drug war. I'm not holding the party to any standard, my question is for the people who support the party. I'd also ask people why they remain supporters of the Catholic Church, but thats another matter. You're supporting an organization with a long history of evil, is that only relevant with groups you dont like? If the Republicans were the party of slavery would they get a pass?

I honestly want to see how Berz justifies him honing on the party trying to incrementally change the war against drugs while ignoring the party that wants to increase it. What compels a person to invoke a Lincoln as a crucial data point on the Republicans actions in the war on drugs?

If the victims of institutional racism were supporting the Republicans I'd be asking them to explain why. If Japanese Americans supported FDR, I'd be asking them why.

Good thing Jeff Sessions is reversing a number of Obama policies in regards to the drug war.

Who wrote the laws? Mostly Democrats...

I have yet to see any attempt by Berz to rectify Republicans' actions on issues such as drug laws and voting rights with what the modern Democratic party stands for and does. One party is so clearly superior to the other on issues of minority rights that I don't know that any of these screeds are tethered to anything we'd recognize as reality. I think Berz is just trying to virtue signal with these rants, I don't think these are issues he cares about at all.

I wouldn't have started the thread if I didn't care. Hell, if I was a racist I'd support the drug war. Why dont Democrats care?

Well, if we take the US as the context, the answer is obvious : because the alternative is the Republicans.

It isn't so obvious when the context is the drug war, both parties support it...

It's easy! The Republicans appealed to the racist elements in the 70's through the Southern Strategy and now the parties have essentially switched names.

Therefore it's actually quite easy to support the Democrats, at least through a lesser-of-two-evils situation.

Democrats were writing drug laws before and after the southern strategy, but it is noteworthy that even the Democrats imposing Jim Crow on people didn't target blacks like the Democrats did after Nixon. They got even worse... Does choosing the lesser of two evils create a moral high ground immune to criticism? I mean, when Democrats complain about racism while their party commits atrocities against people of color, their defense is to point a finger at someone else they've identified as more evil. Isn't that hypocrisy? I think so...

It's true.

A little known fact is that, after Thomas Jefferson [who wrote the Declaration of Independence] snf James Madison [architect of the U.S. Constitution] co-founded what is now the Democratic Party, they jumped into their time machine, went back to the year 1620, and began importing slaves.

The Pilgrims would like to have a word with you, can they borrow the car tonite?

When you say "gave"... You obviously don't mean that the Democratic party invented slavery as a concept... and you obviously don't mean that the Democratic party introduced slavery to the continent of North America... so are you just saying that the Democrats were the party of the Confederacy/ the party that supported slavery? Why not just say that?

I dont need to if its obvious... and I said it with less than half the letters.

I also would like to hear your top 5 reasons as I agree that it will provide a much better insight on your perspective. When everyone is saying the grass is green while one guy is saying its yellow, its more productive for the guy that sees the grass as yellow to explain why he thinks its yellow than for one of the people seeing green to try to explain why they think its green. Everyone gets that its green, it doesn't need to be explained, but obviously you don't/can't/won't get it or you wouldn't be saying its yellow. So it is more productive for you to explain your perspective. That being said ... I tried to think about a thoughtful, but simple, anecdotal way of answering this that you would immediately get. Now by "get it", please understand that I don't mean agree with, I just mean comprehend.

So why do I, a black dude, who grew a black neighborhood support the Democrats instead of the Republicans?

I didn't ask why people choose Democrats over Republicans, I asked how people could support the Democrats in spite of their track record of institutional racism. It'd be like the victims of pedophile priests supporting the Vatican or battered women defending their abusive husbands.

OK, simple... You, Berzerker are Republican/conservative voter/supporter right?

No... I oppose the drug war. Unfortunately I dont see any Democrats or Republicans I can vote for who share my position.

You support George Zimmerman right? That's it.

I supported his right to self defense and acquittal, you wanted him in prison for murder because you decided he was a racist. If he was black and Martin was white would your opinion change? Mine wouldn't...

That's as simple and straightforward as I can make it. The folks in your party/political side of the aisle tend to be more likely to support George Zimmerman, whereas Democrats tend more to support Trayvon. That's why I can't support Republicans. I can't support a party who's membership has a higher tendency to be supportive of Zimmerman. For you to support Zimmerman establishes that your perspective is just way too opposed to mine for me to be in that party. So as long as you (the royal you) support Zimmerman, I could never be comfortable as a Republican.

It was a Republican governor who threw Zimmerman under the bus, but I didn't ask why you dont support Republicans.

I'm not a Republican and you made your decision long before George Zimmerman... Now here's what I do get. The Democrats have been rounding up blacks for decades and shipping them off into the prison system, so when Democrats complain about racism, they need a mirror and some light.

Warned for bad language
Alright Berz, you convinced us, now run along and sell your message on the streets, see how it goes and get back to us. I think your first talking point should be "You <snip> owe Abraham Lincoln your vote". Try to avoid racial slurs, if you can.

Moderator Action: In what should be no surprise to anyone, bad language is unacceptable, even in a non-RD thread. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah, the Democrats protected and spread slavery for ~75 years before it was banned. If the Republicans did that would you give them a pass? But they ended slavery instead and the Democrats replaced it with another century of terrorism and Jim Crow. That wasn't bad enough though, they welcomed black people to their war on drugs. Its clear which party has done more harm to black folk.

This is completely ahistorical "analysis". Aside from which, very few people, I'd imagine, vote based on this kind of historical scorekeeping. Here's a hint: most people, which includes most black people, do not give two poops about what party did what 150 years ago. They care about what parties are doing now, and more specifically what the parties can do for them.

Now, we've had this discussion a number of times but there are good reasons that most black people have turned into Democrat voters since the 1930s. And that's because the Democratic party in fact has offered more to black people than the Republican Party. I'll grant that this didn't become anything like it is today until after the 1960s, but the trend of black people leaving the Republican Party began in the New Deal era as FDR and the Democrats' reforms were actually making things better for black people in spite of the shameful capitulation to the Dixiecrats. But, again as has been explained to you on a number of occasions, during the course of the 1960s the Republicans pretty much turned into the party of segregationists and racists.

Unfortunately I dont see any Democrats or Republicans I can vote for who share my position.

Here is language from the Democratic Party's platform:
The "war on drugs" has led to the imprisonment of millions of Americans, disproportionately people of color, without reducing drug use. Whenever possible, Democrats will prioritize prevention and treatment over incarceration when tackling addiction and substance use disorder. We will build on effective models of drug courts, veterans’ courts, and other diversionary programs that seek to give nonviolent offenders opportunities for rehabilitation as opposed to incarceration.

Because of conflicting federal and state laws concerning marijuana, we encourage the federal government to remove marijuana from the list of “Schedule 1" federal controlled substances and to appropriately regulate it, providing a reasoned pathway for future legalization.

And here is Jeff Sessions, the Republican (note: this means he's not a Democrat) attorney general:

Jeff Sessions Reinvigorates the Drug War
The U.S. attorney general is bringing back the harshest sentences for low-level drug offenses, rejecting Obama-era reforms.

Your position is, to put it lightly, not aligned with reality.

To be fair, remember that Reagan's admin did enable cocaine trafficking so I think Reagan was actually very pro drug.

He also tried to save the USSR from financial collapse by subsidizing their food supply and helping them to set up oil and gas export pipelines. So he was clearly soft on communism as well.

Maybe I'll put in terms Berz can understand. Dems are righting wrongs. Republicans are doubling down.

Disbelief?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_U.S._jurisdiction

What do all of those states in red have in common politically Berz? What do all those states in grey have in common?

If you can figure out the answer (And trust me it's not hard) you might gain some insight where the parties and their constituents stand.

Now I'll concede that Colorado is more centrist and yet was the first to pass but do you think it's merely coincidence that all these Dem leaning states keep passing all these weed laws? And Dems haven't stood in the way of it?

Edit: Alaska has always turned a blind eye. It's their thing.

Where Obama was mostly permissive on states' moves to legalize, Republicans mostly want to maintain marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug. Sessions has gone on the record as wanting to start enforcing federal drug laws in states which have legalized it.

I mean, maybe Berz is just pissed because he can't get legal weed where he is. I don't know why he specifically blames Democrats when they're the ones that have at least some semblance of a reasonable policy in the Obama years and have STATED in a written document that they want to end the war on drugs.

So yeah, if the war on drugs was the only issue I cared about, I'd vote Democrat in a second. The alternative is so, so much worse on this issue.

Where Obama was mostly permissive on states' moves to legalize, Republicans mostly want to maintain marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug. Sessions has gone on the record as wanting to start enforcing federal drug laws in states which have legalized it.

I mean, maybe Berz is just pissed because he can't get legal weed where he is. I don't know why he specifically blames Democrats when they're the ones that have at least some semblance of a reasonable policy in the Obama years and have STATED in a written document that they want to end the war on drugs.

So yeah, if the war on drugs was the only issue I cared about, I'd vote Democrat in a second. The alternative is so, so much worse on this issue.

Abraham Lincoln is more important to Berz as central part of his argument that Dems are unworthy of POC votes, than Obama turning a blind eye while blue states legalized is important to my argument.

Who was passing voter "ID laws" designed to disenfranchise poor voters, who are disproportionately black?
...Who went into court, time after time, to prove them unconstitutional?.
Who is seeking to end the ACA and to thereby end affordable healthcare for poor Americans?
...Who is seeking to protect and expand the ACA?
Who fought raising the minimum wage?
...Who wrote the bill?
Who fought free tuition at public universities and colleges?
...Who proposed it?
Who filibustered a jobs bill based entirely on job bills previously supported--and sometimes written--by Republicans?
...Who proposed this bill?
Who ran lead-polluted water into Flint, Michigan?
...Who fights for clean air and water?
Who is replacing the scientists in the EPA with polluter lobbyists?

Etc., etc., etc?

Background: I considered myself independent for most of the Obama years, but have begun identifying as a Democrat in the past year, thanks almost entirely to Donald Trump. Although I've always leaned center-to-center-left.

I apologize for interfering with the Mueller rd thread, so I'll just ask my question here...

The Democrats gave us slavery, replaced it with Jim Crow when it was banned by Republicans, then replaced Jim Crow with a drug war focused on black and brown people. As a result millions of people have been punished with many lives ruined or lost.

I've been told by supporters of these murderous racists that history doesn't matter, what Democrats did in the past is irrelevant to modern times. Well, the KKK got 'better' too, so what? "The New Jim Crow" is a book about the drug war and its effect on the black community and the Democrats paved that road, most of the time they were writing the laws. The Democrats controlled the House for decades and usually with large majorities.

Did Bill Clinton and Barack Obama end this war on black people? They had Democrats controlling the House too when they entered office. No, they oversaw the judicial plantation for 16 years and did nothing but make sure more black people were punished. So how can you support the Democrat party?

There are a lot of things in your post I disagree with, but the main point across it is that you're blaming a party for flaws that in many cases happened before anyone alive today was born, and are no longer reflective of that party. It's not that too different from saying, "How can you support the United States?" citing slavery in the 1800s. A reprehensible act, and it would have been a very good question in 1850, but it's well in the past now. Or if you prefer another question, you could ask the same of many countries in Europe today that at one point allowed slavery, but now are vehemently against it and supportive of a wide range of civil rights and liberties.

But in point:

- Slavery existed in the U.S. before any political parties, even the Federalists. It was a continuation of colonial policies under Great Britain. The Democrats didn't exist when the U.S. was formed.
- Fair point on Jim Crow in the 1860s and 1870s, but...
- In the 1960s, it was Democrats who led the legislative push to end Jim Crow, and Republicans who opposed it (for the most part, with some exceptions). The Republicans were the party of civil liberties in the mid-late 1800s; the Democrats were in the 1900s.
- Admittedly Clinton did little if anything to end the war on drugs, but neither did Reagan nor either Bush.
- Obama was generally in support of more lenient drug policies, but there was not sufficient support for reform in Congress during his presidency. He pardoned more convicts than any prior president, with an emphasis on nonviolent drug offenders, in an effort to do what he could unilaterally to lessen the impact of the war on drugs.

And most seriously, are you seriously suggesting that the KKK "got better"? I can assure you that even if they are less likely to act out physically due to different societal norms and law enforcement, from a world-view perspective they definitely have not. I've heard both a KKK member and a National Socialist speak, the latter in person, and they are every bit as racist as their forefathers would have been - it's really quite shocking to hear a bona fide KKK/Nazi member in person, realizing that there are people who truly believe the most extreme parts of those philosophies. Their numbers may have shrunk, but the remaining ones did not get better. Next to them, Dick Cheney may as well be Mother Theresa or Mahatma Gandhi.

Whereas the Democrats of today are very different than the post-Civil War Democrats. It did take a long time to change, but now they're the more liberal, equality-focused party. If you want to make an analogy, a far better one than the KKK would be a politician who supports civil rights, but whose great-great-grandfather was a segregationist who opposed civil rights. The great-great-grandfather deserves criticism, but that's no reason not to support the current civil-rights-supporting politician.

The Democrats gave us slavery, replaced it with Jim Crow when it was banned by Republicans, then replaced Jim Crow with a drug war focused on black and brown people. As a result millions of people have been punished with many lives ruined or lost.

Because Black Kenyan Secret Muslims love Slavery
The last Linlcon Republicans are probably McCain classical conservatives, whom now make up a tiny fraction.

Last edited:
I just realized something:

Berz is fundamentally asking a bizarre as hell question - Why don't POC resent Democrats more? Why don't African Americans specifically hold a generations long grudge against Democrats? Why don't POC hold grudges like I would, despite, ya know, having never faced their experiences.

Top Bottom