1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How can you tell if a city state actually hooked up a resource?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by effb, Oct 27, 2014.

1. effb

effb Chieftain

This is a common scenario for me:

1. Research Industrialization
    2. There is no coal anywhere near my territory
    3. Scour the globe for some coal
    4. Find a few CS with coal within their borders
    5. Play guessing game as to if/when the CS actually has access to the coal, so you can get it by allying them

Sometimes it's obvious the CS hasn't hooked up the coal because there's a lumber mill on that tile, but sometimes there's a mine already on the tile. I know I'm the tech leader and other civs/CS can't see coal yet, but my question is: how do you know when they actually do get access to the coal, making it available to you via allying them? I know CS have an internal tech tree, but I have no way to tell if they research Industrialization.

2. amphreded

amphreded Chieftain

Not entirely sure, but if there's a mine on it chance is the CS built the mine before they had the technology. If that's the case, the coal will never be connected due to programming oversight.

I don't think you have a way of knowing whether that's the case; if that's not the case, then it's purely guessing whether the CS already has reached Industrialization or not.

3. vadalaz

vadalaz Emperor

Not 100% sure about this, but you can probably look at the tile yield. If the mine is providing 5 or 6 hammers, the CS should have Industrialization.

Alternatively you could gift the CS 200g to connect the resource. I believe it doesn't work when the CS already has a mine on that tile though.

4. brasaelal

brasaelal Warlord

This piss me off! I don't understand this. I usually just wait several turns until coal is really connected.

5. effb

effb Chieftain

I didn't think of looking at the tile yield, that's a good idea.

I tried gifting them 200g to hook up a resource, but if they don't have Industrialization nothing happens. And you're out 200g.

6. beetle

beetle Deity

I don't think the game will enable the “improve a resource” button unless it will work as you would expect. I suppose you might end up with a sea lux when you thought you were getting coal!

7. sun8119

sun8119 Warlord

From what I remember this is true. You give them gold to get a resource and if they don't have a tech yet you still don't have a resource.