How can you tell if a city state actually hooked up a resource?

effb

Chieftain
This is a common scenario for me:

1. Research Industrialization
2. There is no coal anywhere near my territory
3. Scour the globe for some coal
4. Find a few CS with coal within their borders
5. Play guessing game as to if/when the CS actually has access to the coal, so you can get it by allying them

Sometimes it's obvious the CS hasn't hooked up the coal because there's a lumber mill on that tile, but sometimes there's a mine already on the tile. I know I'm the tech leader and other civs/CS can't see coal yet, but my question is: how do you know when they actually do get access to the coal, making it available to you via allying them? I know CS have an internal tech tree, but I have no way to tell if they research Industrialization.

Not entirely sure, but if there's a mine on it chance is the CS built the mine before they had the technology. If that's the case, the coal will never be connected due to programming oversight.

I don't think you have a way of knowing whether that's the case; if that's not the case, then it's purely guessing whether the CS already has reached Industrialization or not.

Not 100% sure about this, but you can probably look at the tile yield. If the mine is providing 5 or 6 hammers, the CS should have Industrialization.

Alternatively you could gift the CS 200g to connect the resource. I believe it doesn't work when the CS already has a mine on that tile though.

Not 100% sure about this, but you can probably look at the tile yield. If the mine is providing 5 or 6 hammers, the CS should have Industrialization.

Alternatively you could gift the CS 200g to connect the resource. I believe it doesn't work when the CS already has a mine on that tile though.

I didn't think of looking at the tile yield, that's a good idea.

I tried gifting them 200g to hook up a resource, but if they don't have Industrialization nothing happens. And you're out 200g.

I tried gifting them 200g to hook up a resource, but if they don't have Industrialization nothing happens. And you're out 200g.

I don't think the game will enable the “improve a resource” button unless it will work as you would expect. I suppose you might end up with a sea lux when you thought you were getting coal!

From what I remember this is true. You give them gold to get a resource and if they don't have a tech yet you still don't have a resource.

Top Bottom