1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How close do you get to your political leaders?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by really, Nov 22, 2013.

1. really

really Deity

Out of curiosity do you ever encounter political or other leaders in your day to day life?

The Taoiseach (Prime Minister of Ireland) is visiting my workplace today and I was asked if I would like to meet him.

Recent photobomb by the taoiseach:
    Spoiler :

The last Taoiseach (Brian Cowen) used the urinal beside the one I was using - we were attending different events in the same hotel.

Brian socalising while he was Taoiseach:
    Spoiler :

I guess living in a small country helps.

2. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Yes. I've encountered Rita Verdonk in real life, who was sitting out a court case in Leeuwarden.

Several acquintances and friends of mine include candidates and elected municipal councilors for the VVD and GroenLinks.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

As close as a police regiment allows.

4. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton King, Warrior, Prophet, Magician, Lover

I once encountered the major standing right besides me ordering meat in the super market. That was the climax of my encounters with politicians so far. Oh wrong! I once attended a symposium in Heidelberg where a very prominent SPD politician had a speech.
    The speech was terribly superfluous and boring.
    Incidentally, I just remembered I also had to listen to a speech of the major ones. It was also terribly superfluous and boring.
    I am not sure I even want to talk to politicians. I have this feeling that it just could go wrong. I.e. they annoy me with political correct blathering and I suddenly find myself insulting them.

5. really

really Deity

While I was in college I went to a speech by the then minister for public enterprise who at the time was responsible for the state airline, electricity and telecoms monopoly, the three largest airports, the principal ports and plenty of other smaller state companies.

There were about 12 - 15 people there.

Overall the impression I took away that evening was - how on earth did this person end up having about 50,000 employees ultimately reporting to them.

6. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

My dad swears he almost got run over by Gordon Brown once, does that count?

Otherwise, nope nowhere near

7. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Early in my career, this was a fairly regular occurrence. As a teacher, I was working in probably the most politically important school district in the entire US (New Orleans), and as part of probably the most politically connected education nonprofit (TFA), so having various politicians come into our offices or classrooms. I met Louisiana Gov Bobby Jindal, Senator Vitter, and various other Louisiana pols a few times.

I also used to work in politics (for the Ohio AG in college, and for then for an Indiana Congressman after my teaching career), so I got to know and work with several Ohio and Indiana politicians and party bosses on a day to day basis. That was my industry, after all.

I haven't really had any real association with a political figure since I left those industries, outside of the city council level, since they occasionally go to the same trade events that I go to. I'm fine with that.

8. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I live in New Hampshire. I have neighbors that won't vote for any president that they haven't shaken hands with, and that rule typically does not constrain their ballot very much.

9. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Are you trying to suss out whether Monica Lewinsky is a member of this list?

Because I'm not. I mean she's not.

10. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

UK voters are advised not to get within punching distance of John Prescott.

11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I was out in Sydney one night and came to a pedestrian crossing. A car pulled up at a red, and I noticed the numberplate was 'PM 1'. I looked inside and Ms Gillard was sitting in the back seat, the car waiting for the light. My friend gave an awkward wave, and Julia gave an awkward wave back. I suppose if anyone tried anything, there appeared to be a trailing car, but it's an interesting contrast to the Harbour Bridge being closed down when Dick Cheney and his motorcade were in town.

During election times you'll regularly find PMs/Opposition Leaders/ministers/shadow ministers shaking hands in shopping centres in marginal electorates. They have security, but probably in the same way most movie stars would.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I met the Governor of Illinois a couple of times when I lived there. I was also technically the employer of President of my community college when I was on the board there and her husband was my state Representative, so I met him as well.

13. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I've met my congressman before, worked on his campaign in my town. Which incidentally means I've also met one of my senators since he's a senator now.

Saw the President at a rally last year, but didn't interact with him at all.

That's about as far as it goes. Which makes sense to be honest in as big a country as we live in. Meet your congressmen, maybe your senator, president if you're really lucky.

14. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

i have to deal with <snip> idiots with diplomatic or government plates on the road all the goddamn time

On a more serious note, I saw Obama at a rally back in 2008, and the then-Representative for our district delivered the commencement for my high school graduating class. Back in January 2006, I got to briefly spend time at Tim Kaine's gubernatorial inauguration before getting shunted off to babysitter duty. Never actually met any of those guys, though.

Also, there's a back road near where I live that is the primary transit route to Fairfax County for people living in my area. It also serves an area farm that hosts several major seasonal events, including a Fall Festival. A few years ago during the festival, I was driving down that road and it was even more backed up than usual; when I went past the parking area, I could see a couple of semi-obtrusive security-type guys hanging around. That evening, I found out from a friend that worked there that Malia and Sasha Obama had been to pick out pumpkins and enjoy the hay ride. Dunno if that counts either.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

My father had breakfast with Obama when he was a candidate. I've never seen Obama in person though.

16. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

As my dad works in county government I've met quite a few local representatives, such as (soon-to-be-former) mayor of San Jose Chuck Reid. I met a Virginia state senator at a ceremony for Douglas MacArthur in Norfolk. I met a few California state reps in Sacramento when I went there with a group protesting the cuts to public education. I think I've met Jerry McNerney at one point, but I don't remember.

17. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I met Joe Biden this summer.

Damn he's sexy

18. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Link to video.

???

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Let's see... I've met a bunch of candidates and councilors. I saw one of the former mayors making a fool of himself at a toga party, and when he later ran for council and his wife tried cozying up to me for my vote, I thought about telling her, "Hey, I remember that production party we were all at the year we did "Guys and Dolls" in the theatre. I wasn't the one wrapped up in a bedsheet making an idiot of myself." (his wife and I were on the same backstage crew and he'd gone to the party as her guest).

Then there was the councilor who accused me of being an irresponsible cat owner because I told him I didn't think it was ethical to bait cat traps to catch cats that might ordinarily never even consider going on to the neighbor's property, especially if they weren't used to going outside in the first place. I'd been thinking of the potentially horrible consequences if my Tomtat somehow got stuck outside and smelled fish from the neighbor's yard. Tomtat loved fish but eating it would have potentially fatal consequences, as he couldn't digest it. I tried explaining the concept of causing harm to cats with medical conditions that could get caught in these traps, but the councilor dismissed my concerns and called me an irresponsible cat owner. When he ran for mayor and his wife started pestering me at the Farmer's Market for my vote (different run-ins with her), I'm sure it never occurred to either of them that there were some people in the city who did not think they were Just Wonderful.

Provincially... I'd run into my MLA on the street occasionally, and I've already related the story of how I had the pleasure of telling off Stockwell Day when he was on my doorstep asking for votes for his re-election (this was before he made the jump to federal politics and ended up in the cabinet).

Federally? Well, I've passed by my former MP a couple of times when he was in the Conservatives, my Reform/Alliance MP was my Grade 12 biology teacher, so I'd known him for many years, and if I ever run across my current MP, I might let him know that a bunch of us thought he was rather dismissive and rude to not attend the local election forums, but that the potted plant that stood in for him gave excellent answers.

I've never met the Prime Minister, but I did talk on the radio with one of the former cabinet ministers once (Denis Coderre). Justin Trudeau was running a "Donate $5 to the Liberal Party and enter your name to win Dinner With Justin for you and 4 friends" lottery. I thought about it, and decided not to bother for two reasons: first, I never donate to any political party since I don't want to feel obligated to vote for them (and it would annoy Harper greatly, as his party keeps track of that stuff); second, I couldn't think of 4 other people I knew who might want to have dinner with Justin Trudeau.

20. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

TV doesn't do him justice.