How did face masks become so political?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I explicitly stated it for the record
There is also no shame in being a <slur> but I wouldn't say it.

Saying it changes it. Even if it isn't <slur>.

Lot of old people died alone, unable to receive visitors. So dumb and what a rotten way to go. You can take precautions without totally isolating people.
Add all the people who lived alone during the worst of the pandemic when so many were essentially in quarantine. I felt really fortunate in those days to at least have a family, and very sad for those who lived alone.

There is also no shame in being a <slur> but I wouldn't say it.

Saying it changes it. Even if it isn't <slur>.
Part of what makes something a slur is the conscious/subconscious, implied/imposed societal shame of being it, right?.

Part of what makes something a slur is the conscious/subconscious, implied/imposed societal shame of being it, right?.
It's not like one decides they themselves are it. In fact, there's a subset of shame for claiming it when one doesn't look or sound the expected part. So I don't think I can see a way to disagree.
Men valuing themselves (and each other) based on whether they've slept with someone is textbook toxic masculinity
Not going to disagree here, either.

Add all the people who lived alone during the worst of the pandemic when so many were essentially in quarantine. I felt really fortunate in those days to at least have a family, and very sad for those who lived alone.
Trying to grok this in a way that's communicable, because it shifted during 2020, at least for me.

I might need to lean on an old book, and say that first it was the best of times, and then it was the worst of times. I can't figure out, at least right now, a better way of trying to sort it.

It's not like one decides they themselves are it. In fact, there's a subset of shame for claiming it when one doesn't look or sound the expected part. So I don't think I can see a way to disagree.

Not going to disagree here, either.

Trying to grok this in a way that's communicable, because it shifted during 2020, at least for me.

I might need to lean on an old book, and say that first it was the best of times, and then it was the worst of times. I can't figure out, at least right now, a better way of trying to sort it.
:hug:

Men valuing themselves (and each other) based on whether they've slept with someone is textbook toxic masculinity
You're using it to put the guy down, implying that he's an angry incel.

Stop w this passive aggressive toxic femininity

Last edited by a moderator:

Then maybe the better approach is to stop being part of the toxic masculinity?

My eyes are rolling so hard they nearly left my head

Seriously.

If you think Uncle Paul is worth defending, thats on you.

If you think Lexicus is being "unfair" or "unsportsmanlike" or something, are you able to say how? And given that this would be reciprocal behaviour to Uncle Paul, why only comment on one side?

You can support not being a dick and a hypocrite without 'defending someone's every view (ie : being against bullying even if the person is kinda asking for it).

Respect isn't reserved only for people I 100% agree with.

But there is no point in doing so.

There is little point in asking for politeness on behalf of the impolite, or to treat the unreasonable in a reasonable manner. Thats just asking for someone to take some kind of moral high ground for niceness points but to functionally condone/permit the jerk's behaviour.

I'm not asking that question to be a jerk, FFS, as I've already explained, I'm asking to find out the answer

If you want the toxic femininity, "angry" there stands in for "dangerous."

Which if you parse it right, is actually an implied demand that a (probably)conservative man do something about it.

Spoiler :
;)

Women seem to actually enjoy it, they do it more, whereas most men put up with it for a chance to take a "lady" home for the night, if you get what I mean.
quoted doesn't make sense to me. presumably, men pursue this for enjoyment as well, or are at least attempting to enjoy it. if they do not enjoy it, then what is it, compulsion? that doesn't make sense.

at best, you can say that if there are more men vs women, or more women vs men, that supply/demand predicts that the side with fewer people will "enjoy" it more because that group is able to be more picky while still meeting demand. i don't think "most men don't want to be in sausage fest clubs" is breaking any new ground conceptually though, lol. if you don't like it, don't go, then there are fewer men there.
I've lost relatives to COVID...
i'm sorry to hear that. i don't think it should inform general policy, though. people lose relatives to many things we do not ban, with higher odds in some cases. while i would prefer if it were not true, it is unlikely that any of us are alive in 100 years no matter what (likely much less for most). if you try to optimize to maximize time alive vs risk, you won't get to experience much life has to offer, so you have to strike a balance. it is not good process to have the government force that balance preference onto individuals at scale.
My posts do not contain any logical fallacies.
maybe you believe that, but i don't see how "good of society" --> "elderly are more important than infants" can square, for most any functional definition of "good for society", and you certainly haven't provided any rationale that supports such a position yet.
In terms of physical danger like driving, guns? Yes. In terms of disease mitigation? No.
evidence suggests we should predict otherwise. where is your evidence that goes against such prediction?
They are... acceptable casualties for those who want to pretend COVID is not a big issue.
or maybe those just don't want to *cause* more casualties than they save.
As a society I suppose we fell into that ridiculous compromise: wear mask to the table, then take it off to eat and talk. It was ridiculous, but when it came down to it, we had insufficient collective will to shutter the entirety of the restaraunt industry, I suppose.
the sensible move would be to either shutter the place, or don't require what amounts to a signaling ritual. one or the other. which is the sensible answer depends on your belief about and acceptance of risk given what is known at the time, but one or the other of these must be more sensible than that nonsense.
If you think Lexicus is being "unfair" or "unsportsmanlike" or something, are you able to say how?
probably ad hominem

Valuing children over the elderly is actually very interesting. Societies that do it will probably perform societies that don't, given that the children will end up doing all the work as they age. Strictly speaking, children have more potential, and so you lose potential every time we lose a child. And the elders have more memories and embedded knowledge, so you're losing more knowledge whenever an elder dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom