1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How did Norway get liberated in WW2

Discussion in 'World History' started by cubsfan6506, Oct 12, 2007.

1. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

I've never found an answer to this. Did Germany just retreat out of Norway.

2. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Norway was held by German forces until the unconditional surrender of Germany.

3. Volum

Volum The Zapper

Germany had about 400 000 soldiers in Norway at the end of WW2. Hitler had been expecting an invasion of Norway for some time (most of it was diversions to keep his eyes of Normandie). The Norwegian Reichkommisar (SP?) in Norway Josef Terbhoven wanted to fight until the end in Norway too. But he got the order to surrender, and killed himself in a bunker in Oslo. The Soviets had already moved in trough the North of the country. After the war the Soviets withdrew from Norway (the only place they did that after the war) and the US 99 battalion got sent here.

It was only one of the few times the Germans surrenders with most of it forces still intact.

4. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Terbhoven was a Reichskommisar. Hitler was the Reichs chancler. :p

5. Volum

Volum The Zapper

Thanks, i knew he was Reich something, i just couldnt remember it :lol:

6. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Its NP. I only remember it because I'm working on a paper for an academic conference, and Nazi policies in Scandanavia factor heavily into it.

7. Verbose

Verbose Deity

There was fighting up in the Norwegian arctic though, as the Soviets pursued the retreating German troops up there into Norway proper.

8. Imrahil91

Imrahil91 Prince

They retreated in the end of the war, when the Soviets defeated them in the north, and when Germany was full of allied troops.

9. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

Wasn't there a fairly large Norwegian resistance throughout the war? Or am I just thinking too much about WWII games?

10. Volum

Volum The Zapper

Yes it was, but the largest one (Milorg) didnt really start that much with sabotage actions until late in the war.

However, we all know the Norwegian resitance stopped Hitler from getting a nuke and thus saved the world:mischief:

11. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

It was fairly large, but did fairly little, it's was more like an "army-in-being" not actually doing anything, but threatening to do something if the Germans did anything.

It played an important part in stabilizing Norway after the war, though.

12. Case

Case The horror, the horror

...along with a lot of other Allied units. For instance, following the German surrender a large proportion of the British Special Air Service was used to secure southern Norway.

13. Volum

Volum The Zapper

True, when Vidkun Quisling was told there where British Planes with soldiers on their way to norway after the Germans surrenderd he said "Good". Better the Brits then the commies i guess he figured.

14. Verbose

Verbose Deity

And not unreasonably it turned out to be the Norwegians he really had to worry about.