1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do Airlifts work in Civ6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Soryn Arkayn, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Soryn Arkayn

Soryn Arkayn Prince

I can't figure out how the Airlift ability works in Civ6. The Airlift button only appears when a unit is in the city where the Aerodrome is built -- not when a unit is on the Aerodrome itself -- but when I click the button the green hexes appear around that city's Aerodrome but not around any other cities' Aerodromes. What's the point of airlifting a unit only a few hexes from the city to the airport district?

I'm in a real dilemma because right now I have an coastal Aerodrome loaded with 3 aircraft that have already committed their actions and I've spotted an embarked enemy unit 2 hexes away. Chances are it's going to disembark on top of my Aerodrome and pillage it, destroying my aircraft and making the district unusable for about 10 turns. I knew the risk and had it defended by an Infantry unit a few turns earlier, then I completed Satellites and upgraded to Mech Infantry and rushed it to support my attacking army. The AI either exploited my mistake or just got lucky launching a raid into my undefended territory.

If the airlift ability worked the way it should work, I could airlift one or several garrisoned units from cities with Aerodromes across the map. I don't know if there's a range limit to airlifting or I don't understand how to do it properly or if the airlift ability is broken in Civ6.

2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

As far as I know, you need to have the final Aerodrome building, the Airport, constructed. Otherwise the district can't receive airlifts.

It's a bit weird that cities can send airlifts.

3. Soryn Arkayn

Soryn Arkayn Prince

Crisis averted. The enemy didn't land on my Aerodrome district and I re-based my aircraft (instead of bombing the enemy because there was another unit near my coast). 2 turns later the AI finally did occupy my Aerodrome for 1 turn and I bombed it to death. The next turn a Modern Armor reached it and now I have it properly defended. Close call -- I benefited from the AI's incompetence. TBH I wish the enemy AI had pillaged my Aerodrome to punish me for a stupid mistake and to demonstrate Civ6's AI is smart and cunning. Very disappointing.

Having read the Civopedia closer I realize now that I need Airports at both ends to Airlift units -- I thought I just needed an Aerodrome and Rapid Deployment. I must've misread Airport as Aerodrome -- probably because that term isn't common where I live. I've heard of an airport, an airbase, an airstrip, and an airfield, but not an aerodrome. I don't think it should be necessary to have Airports on both sides to airlift units; only the city sending the units should need an Airport. I've seen videos of tanks, AFVs, and mobile artillery being airdropped into combat zones and makeshift airstrips. I understand it's so Aerodromes aren't OP'd but I hope Firaxis reconsiders. Perhaps limit it so only single units can be airlifted to a basic Aerodrome or Airstrip; a Hangar is required to receive airlifted Corps units; and an Airport is required for Army units. I think that's a good way to improve Airlifts without making them OP'd.