1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I add a custom title screen?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by The Frederick, Dec 5, 2006.

1. The Frederick

The Frederick Chieftain

I searched through the forums and didn't find much. How can I add my own picture to the title screen? I want it to be a plain picture, no 3-D or animation. But I would like the Warlords title up top.

Too much to ask? :)

2. The Frederick

The Frederick Chieftain

Bump. Nobody know how to handle this?

3. Dale

Dale Deity

..\Assets\Art\Interface\Main Menu\

4. ollj

ollj Warlord

The Main Menu image is always a 3d model. In many mods this model is just a flat image texture.
    You could change the .dds of another mod that has no 3d models (like planets or warriors) in its title screen and change its texture file.

5. C.Roland

C.Roland FFH Art team member

If you check in the graphic section of the database, I have uploaded a flat main menu.

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

What if you have two or more pics that are non-animated, or for that animated? if diff, explain, thx.;) What are all the files that have to go there, i just tried to put a pic there in DDS and it reverted back to that barbarian guy and not my pic??
    Or do i have to edit the xml someplace also? Size, texture, etc?????

7. Fabrysse

Fabrysse Charming-snake learner

How to create your customized Main Menu background ?

For a static Main Menu :
    • Go to "Warlords\mods\Barbarian\Assets\Art\Interface" (for exemple)
    • Copy the "Main Menu" folder and paste it in your mod's folder at "Assets\Art\Interface" (of course).
    • Then open the "Barbarian1024.dds" file and modify it like you want (don't tuch at the Warlords logo at the bottom).
    • That's all.
    Here is a result :

For an animated Main Menu :

• Go to "Warlords\mods\Genghis Khan\Assets\Art\Interface" (exemple with some fire on your image).
    • Copy the "Main Menu" folder and paste it in your mod's folder at "Assets\Art\Interface" (of course).
    • Then open the "GenghisKhanBG01.dds" file and modify it like you want (don't tuch at the Warlords logo at the bottom).
    • You'll add some light effects in the "GenghisCityFlameLight.dds"
    • verify the light is good on the smoke and if necessary modify it in the "GenghisSmoke.dds" file.
    • You can modify the sky in the "GenghisSkyAdd.dds" file.
    • That's all.
    Here is a result :

What you need :

Other infos :
    • You have a mask (alpha channel) in a dds file (it's the small B/W image at top right in dds converter). What is white is viewed. What is black is transparent (used for the sky in animated image). A +/- dark grey will be +/- transparent...
    • You should make a screenshot of your original menu (before modification) and maintain the menu items, the bottom bar and the fire (if animated menu) on your working image in The Gimp to know while working where these elements will go.

8. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Fantastic, thx, great info!!:goodjob:
    Got mine going!!

9. The Frederick

The Frederick Chieftain

When I did all that, my background image just turned up blue...

10. Fabrysse

A problem with your Alpha channel ?...

11. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

This is a great help but, the Barbarian screen doesn't have the Warlords logo at the bottom, it says 'Barbarians' - so far I cannot find the default screen - but still looking!

EDIT: Ahh I found it, and all the animations.

Thanks again!

12. Fabrysse

Oups !
    Go to the default Warlords' Main Menu and copy/paste the content of the dds image (and it's Alpha channel). You'll have the Warlords logo.

13. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

I need to learn this 3D stuff...

The Alpha channel - which file is that? I see MainMenuBG1024.dds, and MainMenu1024-2.dds - these look similiar but slightly different (one has the moon and lighting, etc.)

Do I need the Alpha channel file if I am simply making a non-animated screen? (I'm just using a .jpg picture like what you have done with "Guernica").

14. Fabrysse

When you open a dds file in DDSConverter, you have the main image at the middle of the screen, and a black & white small image at the top-right of the window. This second small image is the Alpha channel. It's used to say to the main image : what's white on alpha channel will be visible, the black will be transparent, and the greys will be +/- transparents.
    It's not an other file, it's a part of the dds file.

15. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

Ahh, je comprend. I think I will sit down this weekend and read the Gimp help files, and really learn how to use it. Layers, RGB, Alpha channels...C++ is much easier! Thanks for your help.

16. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

Hmm... I opened MainMenuBG1024.dds, used DDS Converter to change it to a .jpg, converted the picture I want to paste to .jpg, sized it and added it to the main background, and saved it. It looks great.

Now I try to convert it back to .dds and I get an error. I just don't know enough about this yet to do it. I see no Alpha channel in the image...

A detailed step-by-step tutorial would be great! (perhaps I'll write one when I figure this out).

17. Chazcon

Chazcon Prince

Well, I got my screen to show in-game, but that darn hairy swordsman is still there! Also I have spears, grass, and the campfire superimposed over my image. All animated. I have tried deleting all the .kf and .kfm files, but still he is there. Any ideas?

18. Fabrysse

Copy the Assets\XML\Interface\CIV4InterfaceModeInfos.xml file in the original mod (Barbarians ?...) and paste it in your mod folder.
    It should run...

19. Philmassive

Philmassive Chieftain

Is it possible to save the Original Civ title screen (the globe with sun rotating) as a video file?

20. Sarkozy

Sarkozy Chieftain

Hi! I would like to change the background of my (unmodded) Warlords main menu back to the revolving earth. Is there a way to do this?