How do I beat Zombie Defense mode?

Actic_Civ

Chieftain
This mode is too difficult for me, and I really need to know how to beat it. What are some tips to beat the zombies and stop them from spawning frequently?
Just so you know, I'm playing as Genghis Khan on Prince difficulty and aiming for a military victory. I was close to winning but my save got deleted, one factor that made it very easy was that the zombies weren't spawning as frequently.

Last edited:
What are some tips to beat the zombies and stop them from spawning frequently?

If you aren't bothered using exploits, there is one in particular that can make Zombie Defense a breeze:

Zombies won't attack civilians. Use workers (with last charge) as a human shield :D

More detailed guide on Steam -> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2442917795

Enjoy!

Some screen grabs for inspiration:

Indonesian Jong Zombie ferries ->

Holy Land of Zombies ->

Only played it twice (both times for GOTM) but I rather like Zombie Defense mode, because it definitely adds a level of challenge to the game.

My advice:

1. Build holy sites in key cities, so that you can use the Turn Undead project to protect yourself/recruit zombies. The holy site-based project is much faster than the campus-based project iirc.

2. Build walls as fast as possible in every city. They don't shield you from population loss but they do get a number of zombies to just "suicide" themselves.

3. As per above, keep builders around to act as shields (zombies will eat traders but not builders or, I think, settlers). Screenshot below of using builders to invade a 5-tile deep zombified city.

4. There was some discussion that killing them with ranged units (as opposed to melee or anticav) will less likely result in a new zombie spawn; can't personally vouch for this but it seems to be the received wisdom....

Attachments

• D-day Bogota with Builders.png
    D-day Bogota with Builders.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
There was some discussion that killing them with ranged units (as opposed to melee or anticav) will less likely result in a new zombie spawn; can't personally vouch for this but it seems to be the received wisdom....

Ranged units are more powerful, all things being equal.
This seems even more true in HUMANKIND.

It is because ranged units deal damage without taking any, unlike melee and cavalry units.

When dealing with Zombies ranged naval units are the best. Unlike land units, you can be guaranteed to not lose any to Zombies (hence contributing to their spawn). So Basil, and the naval civs are best.

Ranged units are more powerful, all things being equal.
This seems even more true in HUMANKIND.

It is because ranged units deal damage without taking any, unlike melee and cavalry units.

When dealing with Zombies ranged naval units are the best. Unlike land units, you can be guaranteed to not lose any to Zombies (hence contributing to their spawn). So Basil, and the naval civs are best.
I have to wonder if you made a mistake. Basil has the fireship, but it only lasts for a short period and while great when it can be used, it is quite limited as to where it can be. Otherwise his strength is all about cavalry which you've mentioned as being less than ideal.

I have to wonder if you made a mistake. Basil has the fireship, but it only lasts for a short period and while great when it can be used, it is quite limited as to where it can be.

No. The Dromon is a fantastic unit. Its +10 combat bonus vs. units is a great plus vs. zombies.

Also you are encouraged to take the Preparatory Fire promotions branch giving even more bonus strength vs. units (as opposed to vs. district defenses promotion, which in the regular game is almost always preferable).
Basil's cavalry, the Tagma is great for garrisons. Any Zombies you own will get +4 strength defending its city.

Zombie Defense mode is really a Tower Defense mode (as I've said elsewhere).
It's a very different playstyle. You are mostly warring with barbs (as in zombies) and really just making alliances with civs. It's a humanity vs. zombies thing :)

Okay this mode is really freaking hard.
I can't beat it.

Attachments

• GENGHIS KHAN 170 1090 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • GENGHIS KHAN 270 1795 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • GENGHIS KHAN CHOK START.Civ6Save
    702.1 KB · Views: 31
Note: I did beat the game yesterday, but I lost my save. I only have the images.
Edit: I forget about the autosave thing.... lol

Attachments

• GENGHIS KHAN 278 1814 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Okay this mode is really freaking hard.
I can't beat it.

For starters Genghis is a poor civ for Zombies. They have bonuses vs. other civs, not barbs. Make things easier by picking an easier civ to play Zombies. Gaul, Byzantium, Indonesia, Nubia, Egypt, Gran Colombia, Portugal, Rome, China, Kupe, etc.

---

Play tall.

Zombies is a good mode to try OCC. That is don't bother expanding.
I recommend 6-Armed Snowflake as a practice run.

Top Bottom