1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I do provinces al' a SoI

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by nickoman23, Jan 12, 2011.

1. nickoman23

nickoman23 Chieftain

I would like to make something like provinces for RFCE, because I have gotten so used to SoI, RFCE's UHV's are impossible for me. My python sucks, but provinces seems like a long task, not hard or requiring loads of programing knowledge. Could someone give me a gist of how to do it, or better yet, how was it done in SoI.
    Any help is appreciated.

In the future I would like to do titles too, but I don't know which is harder, if provinces is harder I will do titles first. But I think the 2 are intertwined. IDK, thats why I need help.

PS. I have loads of historical maps, with most historical provinces mentioned in RFCE in them, but I would work mostly defining provinces based upon UHV maps in RFCE resource folder.

PPS. I figured its a bit like doing city maps...

2. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Unfortunately mapping the provinces isn't even the beginning, as this functionality is simply not present in RFC and other modmods. SoI's province system isn't just an add-on either, it replaces core mechanics of RFC - all the utils, RiseAndFall, Stability, Victory, Religions etc. work differently in SoI, e.g. functions use plot lists instead of coordinates, and province lists instead of war, stability or spawn maps. In other words, in order to port provinces to RFCE you would have to rewrite it (Python & C++), unless done only for aesthetic purposes.

3. nickoman23

nickoman23 Chieftain

OK then, that sounds like 3 month long project...my python is supper duper crappy, but nothings impossible. So long as Katy Perry helps me along the way....
    Ok, so that sounds like it would completely change everything... I can and will do that, I just need to know 1 things about doing it for aesthetic reasons :

how would I do it for aesthetic reasons only, like what file should I edit or how many which ones etc;

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

If you want the provinces to be displayed (which I guess is what you mean with aesthetics), you need to change the C++ code as well.

5. nickoman23

nickoman23 Chieftain

Im no foreigner to C++, I suck, but I have written a few programs in the past; what files should I edit, or are they (files) mod-specific.

PS. Leoreth, I love Dawn of Civilization, my first RFC modmod experience.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's always nice to hear :D

The province name display is in CvGameTextMgr.cpp. I just noticed the provinces themselves are also in C++, look into SoI's CvPlot.cpp for details.

7. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Like Leoreth said, the aesthetic part is all in C++, it's still the easiest part though as it won't interfere with other modmods.

CvRhyes.cpp/h contains the actual province map (regionMap array) - easiest to edit this in Excel/OpenCalc

CvPlot.cpp/h: getRegionID and getRegionName functions

CvGameTextMgr.cpp: part of the code marked as "edead: start region name display"

Assets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_MEM_Regions.xml: all region names are stored here; there are two versions of every name: the tool-tip one is for tooltips and contains extra info, like B"ityhina (Anatolia)"

If you do the above, you'll be able to show province names on the map.

Also:

CyPlot.cpp/h, CyPlotInterface.cpp, CvGame.cpp/h, CyGame.cpp/h, CyGameInterface.cpp: getRegionID and getRegionName functions: allows accessing province info in Python: not required for aesthetics but for everything else.