How do I edit a civs colors?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Shadow717, May 14, 2010.

1. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

hello, i've been playing C3C a lot recently and I wanted to be able to choose my own team color. I found in the editor under edit rules the default and alternative color for each civ, however when I change and save one it tells me the file is "read only" and cannot be saved, but if i save into a new file it has no effect on the game. I right clicked on the conquests.biq folder, deselected read only and then tried, but it seems like it just automatically changes itself back to read only. I really do not know anything about modding so any simple directions on how to do this would be great :)

2. Optional

Optional Deity

I think you haven't opened up the editor, but the game's main file. The game's main file is by default a 'read only' file, but what you can do, before opening up this file, is to uncheck its 'read only' box in the properties.
    EDIT: Oh sorry, you already did that. Well, alternatively, just use the editor, but know that you can only play with these rules by choosing 'CivContent' at game set-up. This is where the edior's saved .biqs go. So effectively you're playing a scenario.

3. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

will the game still generate random maps if i play it as a scenario or would i need to make a map?

4. Optional

Optional Deity

No need to make a map. The game will switch automatically to the random map generator if you haven't made one.

5. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

thanks for the fast reply, sounds like that should work

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

If the 32 default colors don't satisfy you, it's also possible to switch to colors that are not amongst those 32, by editing the files in your Civilization III\Art\units\Palettes folder (note that is within the base Civ3 folder, even if the change is intended for Conquests). You can find out some information about this here and here (the Word document in post 3 of the latter link is especially detailed if you really want to customize colors). I'm sure there are a few other, perhaps simpler, guides, as well, but I am not sure where they are :(.