How do I edit unit's power and movement ratings?

Technetium

Chieftain
In Civ 3 there was a really handy editor that was similar to the Civ 4 Worldbuilder, but it also let you set unit abilities and building effects. The Worldbuilder in Civ 4 seems to only do map stuff and setting up for scenarios, which isn't what I'm looking for. I just want to change the water units to have more movement, multiply all gunpowder-era units' power by 10 and all modern era units' power by 100 (still too many problems with tanks dying to spearmen). What is the maximum attack power a unit can have in Civ 4? I would also like to add some effects to some world wonders so that more of them put a building of a specific type in every city, similar to how the Eiffel Tower puts a Broadcast Tower in every city.

Is there any kind of visual-based editor like in Civ 3 for changing these things, or do I have to learn programming?

I'm a noob to all this. I did post here once a few years ago about the XML files, but I gave up because I couldn't understand them and was too frustrated with what I see as game imbalances to keep playing.

The only way to do it is through XML changes in the UnitInfos file. You can open and edit this file in notepad, but I found that XMLSpy is visually easier for me to use and it's free. Once you open it up most of the tags are fairly intuitive in this file, plus there are several fairly easy tutorials out there on how to create and use your own mod (and if you make changes to the game, make them in a mod. DO NOT change the original files! Because, well...just don't).

If you can copy and paste, adding units/buildings/wonders or changing stats is a relatively simple task and absolutely makes XML worth learning. Good luck!

Top Bottom