How do I end all Non-Windows processes?

Crbarber22695

The Next Great Liberal
On Windows XP, I want to end ALL non-Windows processes so my computer will run faster and more smoothly when I play games like Civilization or Sims, or just need to run an application that requires a lot of RAM like Office 2007. Please tell me how to do this with one click of a button, like on Windows Vista. If not, tell me how I can identify Windows processes using Task Manager. Thanks!

try the computer help forum for more detailed advice, but here is what i would do:

go through the processes on windows task manager (ctrl-alt-del), and check with their entry on this site, Process Library. if they are non-essential, then you can safely end them to improve performance

Please tell me how to do this with one click of a button

Push the power button...

Seriously, trying to keep Windows clean and lean is usually a losing battle. The only really efficient way to do that is reinstall and then install nothing else.

Push the power button...

Seriously, trying to keep Windows clean and lean is usually a losing battle. The only really efficient way to do that is reinstall and then install nothing else.

thanks for the help, but i kinda wanted to know how to make Windows run more smoothly, without turning off my computer.

Linux. Will end EVERY Windows program, guarantee.

get some more RAM. its dirt cheap these days.

get some more RAM. its dirt cheap these days.

yeah I would, but I just got 1GB and it makes my system roar! super loud and annoying, i know i need to buy fans but i dont know what to get, or how to install them.

( i just bought 1GB for my original 512MB system, so now i have 1.5GB of RAM)

Wait, what? How does RAM make your system louder? It...doesnt have any moving parts.

simplest way is to type msconfig into run box and press enter. then deselect everything on startup tab. that will take care of most non-microsoft programs.

simplest way is to type msconfig into run box and press enter. then deselect everything on startup tab. that will take care of most non-microsoft programs.

True. You can also use online libraries like the previously mentioned Process Library to check each of the startup processes to be sure they aren't adware/spyware.

Wait, what? How does RAM make your system louder? It...doesnt have any moving parts.

Unless it's overheating and the fans are whirring harder to compensate. :dunno: Does RAM even overheat?

How do I end all Non-Windows processes?

You don't. If you have junk programs running that are wasting resources and bogging down your computer, that's a seperate issue and should be dealt with accordingly. Trying to kill off processes before running a game is a complete waste of time on modern windows systems, and those who continue to advocate the practice are pretty much always ignorant of even the basics of how the Windows VMM works.

You don't. If you have junk programs running that are wasting resources and bogging down your computer, that's a seperate issue and should be dealt with accordingly. Trying to kill off processes before running a game is a complete waste of time on modern windows systems, and those who continue to advocate the practice are pretty much always ignorant of even the basics of how the Windows VMM works.

This. :goodjob:

Unless it's overheating and the fans are whirring harder to compensate. :dunno: Does RAM even overheat?

RAM, like any other piece of silicon can overheat. Even the controller on a usb flash drive can overheat, especially if damaged ( my sisters usb died like that, the controller got too hot to even touch)
RAM actually heats up a lot during normal usage. its why generally the lower latency, higher speed modules have a heatsink. But at the same time, unless you have RAM that comes with fans to keep it cool, like some Corsair Dominator sets, it wouldnt make it louder.

Some of the newer RAM have finger tip projections that hopefully extend them into the path of the airflow.

I have serious doubts weather the metal coverings on RAM do anything to dissipate heat.

Heatsinks work by increasing the surface area, which flat metal RAM casings don't do.
What are you smoking? Compare the surface area of the ram chips, and the metal casing. The surface area is at least, double, if not triple or quadruple that of bare RAM. Plus you also have some that have projections of even heatpipes, and if you will notice all of these go up. Most of the time though, it is not needed, or not possible to put a heatsink of the type you're thinking of -- many cooling fins -- on a module.
The metal casing also spreads the heat out more evenly, instead of leaving it concentrated in the chips.

What are you smoking? Compare the surface area of the ram chips, and the metal casing. The surface area is at least, double, if not triple or quadruple that of bare RAM. Plus you also have some that have projections of even heatpipes, and if you will notice all of these go up. Most of the time though, it is not needed, or not possible to put a heatsink of the type you're thinking of -- many cooling fins -- on a module.
The metal casing also spreads the heat out more evenly, instead of leaving it concentrated in the chips.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/299/1/

Although I don't have any good numbers to prove my point, I've never seen a situation where a single fan placed above the memory wasn't far more effective than heatspreaders.

you're comparing two completely different cooling solutions. Fans create airflow which increases the rate of heat exchange. Heat spreaders increase the rate of exchange by providing slightly more surface area. Fans are good for when heat is a very significant problem, such as the CPU or GPU, or even the NB, and when noise is less of a concern. Heatspreaders are far more useful when you do not have a lot of room, or cannot contend with noise. This is especially true for when you're dealing with RAM because you do not have a lot of room generally. You cannot just stick quiet 120mm fans in there.
As to the article you linked to, are you trying to support your point or my point:
As expected, all heat spreader types provided an improvement of a few MHz over the same module with no heat spreader applied. Within the heat spreader results, the XMS PRO provided a small performance gain over the XMS and Mesh heat spreaders. This is the result that we expected to see; the additional surface area provided by the larger heat spreader would naturally be expected to dissipate a nominal amount of additional heat.
Now, they do say its nominal, but the benefit is there. You also have to consider, most RAM that is sheathed in a metal casing is more for the enthusiast group than the mainstream. Its only natural to expect that an enthusiast would touch the RAM more than a regular consumer. In which case, the metal casing also serves as protection for the modules.

Top Bottom