How do I establish a sea route?

Penguin Glory

Aquatic Pigeon
Hey all, I was trying to trade with an AI on another continent, but it says I need to establish a sea route. How do I do this?

Thanks!

DogmaDog

Chieftain
You need harbors at each end of the sea route.

If it's only foreign cities on the other continent, you're outta luck until the AI builds a harbor.

Just having two port cities isn't enough...I had a game where a port city on the FAR side of a continent didn't create a trade route, even though you could travel by sea between both cities. Apparently there's some rule about the directness of the route. Anyone?

DD

G

Gainy

There's no rule about the directness. The route must have been broken in some way, Ie by an AI's territory who one of you were at war with.
Remember you need to have researched Astronomy to traverse sea, and navigation to traverse ocean.

Note: You need to be able to see a clear route before you can actually trade via it. If you can't see that part of the map, then it's a no go.

Turner

Deity
Retired Moderator
Don't forget, you need Astronomy to trade across sea squares, and Navigation/Magnetism to trade across ocean squares.

G

Gainy

Don't forget, you need Astronomy to trade across sea squares, and Navigation/Magnetism to trade across ocean squares.
Remember you need to have researched Astronomy to traverse sea, and navigation to traverse ocean.

Since we are talking about trade, I thought it was kinda clear ;)

Gengis Khan

Deity
Rule #1 to trade. Don't ever, EVER rely on a sea route without Astronomy if your Reputation is at stake. You're guarenteed to have a barbarian galley sailing along that route eventually..

aiolive

Chieftain
I am very much annoyed : although I got harbors on both continents, and navigation and astronomy as techs, and no black squares hiding the sea between my harbors, I still do not have any sea route established between my cities abroad and the motherland continent... Do I have to specify my will somewhere, or is it supposed to establish automatically ?

HMonster

Chieftain
From my limited knowledge, i tried to make sure the two cities on the edge of each continent were facing each other, and a trade route was established as soon as i built a harbour on my side, as the rival civ had one too.

It says there must be a harbour in both cities of the same ocean, so maybe building a harbour on the other side of your continent means its on a different ocean., and therefore wont count.

Tomoyo

Fate
aiolive said:
I am very much annoyed : although I got harbors on both continents, and navigation and astronomy as techs, and no black squares hiding the sea between my harbors, I still do not have any sea route established between my cities abroad and the motherland continent... Do I have to specify my will somewhere, or is it supposed to establish automatically ?
Could you post a screenshot of some sort?

tR1cKy

taking over the world
aiolive said:
Perhaps the civ you want to trade with is disconnected?

Top Bottom