1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I establish a sea route?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Penguin Glory, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

Hey all, I was trying to trade with an AI on another continent, but it says I need to establish a sea route. How do I do this?

Thanks!

2. DogmaDog

DogmaDog Chieftain

You need harbors at each end of the sea route.

If it's only foreign cities on the other continent, you're outta luck until the AI builds a harbor.

Just having two port cities isn't enough...I had a game where a port city on the FAR side of a continent didn't create a trade route, even though you could travel by sea between both cities. Apparently there's some rule about the directness of the route. Anyone?

DD

3. Gainy

Gainy Guest

There's no rule about the directness. The route must have been broken in some way, Ie by an AI's territory who one of you were at war with.
    Remember you need to have researched Astronomy to traverse sea, and navigation to traverse ocean.

Note: You need to be able to see a clear route before you can actually trade via it. If you can't see that part of the map, then it's a no go.

4. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

Thanks for the replies!

5. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Don't forget, you need Astronomy to trade across sea squares, and Navigation/Magnetism to trade across ocean squares.

6. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Since we are talking about trade, I thought it was kinda clear ;)

7. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

You musta edited that it with a magical-no-edit-tag editor, cuz I didn't see it! :blush: ;)

8. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Rule #1 to trade. Don't ever, EVER rely on a sea route without Astronomy if your Reputation is at stake. You're guarenteed to have a barbarian galley sailing along that route eventually..

9. aiolive

aiolive Chieftain

I am very much annoyed : although I got harbors on both continents, and navigation and astronomy as techs, and no black squares hiding the sea between my harbors, I still do not have any sea route established between my cities abroad and the motherland continent... Do I have to specify my will somewhere, or is it supposed to establish automatically ?

10. HMonster

HMonster Chieftain

From my limited knowledge, i tried to make sure the two cities on the edge of each continent were facing each other, and a trade route was established as soon as i built a harbour on my side, as the rival civ had one too.

It says there must be a harbour in both cities of the same ocean, so maybe building a harbour on the other side of your continent means its on a different ocean., and therefore wont count.

11. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Could you post a screenshot of some sort?

12. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Perhaps the civ you want to trade with is disconnected?

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Or there's a trade embargo?