How do I find World Builder and/or Steam Tools?

King Phaedron

Warlord
I have been trying to find the map editor for Civ5. The "World Builder." But the only instructions Ive found do not make sense:

1) Open file Documents/My Games/Sid Meiers Civilization 5/AppOptions.txt
And edit EnableWorldBuilder, change 0 to 1

I don't have a file named AppOptions, only Config and UserSettings. Do I need to download a patch?
If so where do I find that? I have Civ5, Brave New World, only mods I have are all the Scenarios.

2) Open Steam, Library, Tools, etc... Where is Steam? Okay, this is what I have: A desktop icon that says Civilization 5, that I have to right click and run as administer or it wont play, using Windows 7. Then It loads the game in English. I have the options, Single Player, Multi Player, Options, Mods, I have looked everywhere, the only mention of "Steam" anywhere at all is with regard to Steam-Cloud multi player saves.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to whatever it is I need to download, also I may need to download it with my laptop and transfer it to my desktop via usb. I live in a section 8 housing complex, the free internet we have here is very particular and restrictive. I cannot access email, or youtube, or most forums, so I have to travel to Safeway with my laptop when I want to check emails and interact online. My time here tends to be limited, as my laptop has a bad battery so I must plug it in, I have to sit on the floor by the door, or one of their electric carts.

My Desktop is pretty good, 10 gigs of Ram, 1500 gig memory, Win7, but the Laptop is cheap (I had 2 that were better but they were stolen while I was homeless.) So I would need something I can download and manually transfer via usb stick, rather then an auto installer, since I only play Civ5 on the desktop.

The other Internet I can access is completely unrestricted at Safeway a block away. I go there with my laptop, which has the bad battery that won't last more then 10 minutes, so I only use it when I can get away with plugging it in at the corner outlet. Bringing the whole desktop to Safeway is not something I want to do. I have health issues and my only vehicle is a mobility scooter. The only other internet is a library 4 miles away.

The other Files I have are in directory program files 86, R.G Mechanics, and has the folders Assets Debug Locale Miles Resource Tutorials. I do have a Steam_api.dll and Steam_Api configuration settings. This mostly just lists the language settings and list of scenarios.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in Advance...

Moderator Action: <snipped personal details>

Anyways, I would much appreciate it if I could do this without an auto-installer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are playing the Mac AppStore version of Civ 5, or are using a pirated version of the game, you need Steam to install the game. Steam is a third-party program that is intended, among other things, to prevent piracy. If you have a legitimate copy of the game, it is possible that Steam was inadvertently uninstalled. You can reinstall Steam by going to this web site: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Yeah, I thought as much. Thank you anyway, and for the edit, I was going to do that myself, I get a little carried away sometimes, one thing leads to another, but some events with me are a bit embarassing to say the least. Not in a good position at all, but I suppose its good to hold back something from the free version.

So um, you should probably just delete this thread... Or perhaps I'll change my name to Bluebeard.

Unless you are playing the Mac AppStore version of Civ 5, or are using a pirated version of the game, you need Steam to install the game. Steam is a third-party program that is intended, among other things, to prevent piracy. If you have a legitimate copy of the game, it is possible that Steam was inadvertently uninstalled. You can reinstall Steam by going to this web site: http://store.steampowered.com/about/
I'm running the Steam version and I too do not have an appoptions.txt anywhere. I have shied away from large resolutions for years, because it presented in letterbox... at the title screen. I only just realized that if I launch the game, it plays fullscreen just fine. But my icons (and interface in general) are WAY too small! I found a thread saying

There are two possibilities I know of to scale the UI...

1. Enable the debug console in AppOptions.txt (EnableDebugMenu 1).
In game, press ~ to activate the console. Use the command ui scale x , where x is a multiplier. So, fractional values <1 to shrink, and >1 to enlarge. You'll probably get best results if you use integers when enlarging.

2. Also in AppOptions.txt, there is a variable UIUpscale . I've not tried this yet, but it would seem to be a better option if you don't want to reset the scaling every session.
But I cannot find this file. I even tried making a file by that name, with just that line, and it had no effect. Any ideas?

Top Bottom