1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get civ ii up and running again?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by gaily_123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. gaily_123

gaily_123 Chieftain

Hi there,

A couple of months ago, my computer crashed and the tech removed everything from my computer to an external hard drive, wiped the computer clean, and put all my files back on my computer. I still have all my Civ files, but I don't know what I need to do to be able to play again. I've attached a partial view of what the files look like to give you an idea. I would really appreciate any suggestions, b/c I don't want to have to buy it again. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Are these all the Civ2 files you have left? A LOT of them are missing, based on your screenshot.

What version did you had: Classic or Multiplayer?

3. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Moved thread

4. 1stcontact2035

1stcontact2035 Great Scientist

Well, I know you don't want to buy Civ II again, but if it makes you feel better about doing it, at most it will cost $10 including shipping for Civ II and you'll probably get the works for that price. Keep in mind that the game is really old, and sold tons of copies. It should be dirt cheap now online, like on Amazon or something. But I can understand not wanting to go through the trouble of buying it again. I'm sort of the same way... I lost Civ II +Scenarios a couple of years back and haven't bothered to buy it again despite the fact that it would cost, like I said, $10 to do so. Sort of sad.

5. gaily_123

gaily_123 Chieftain

@Jokemaster - No, these aren't all the files. I just posted a quick snapshot of what I had. Here is another view showing all the files I've got. And though I'm not 100%, I think I may have had the Classic version.

Attached Files:

• Civ2.jpg
      Civ2.jpg
      File size:
      120.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

If you have Classic... or Multiplayer...
    (Classic does not require a disk for play, btw.)

Either way, some .dll and some .txt files are missing, so if the intention was to copy everything in the new computer, then something went wrong. Were you running Civ2 on Windows or Mac?

You could try using one of the Classic or Multiplayer game patches hosted here at CFC, to get the game again. You'll need to download other required DLL's from other players (that the original patch did not include) and maybe one from a 3rd-party website.

7. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

That's not Civ2, that's Civ1! And it looks like it's the DOS version too.

You'll need DOSBox to run that.