1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get more gold anyway?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by Ludgi, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Ludgi

Ludgi Chieftain

Hi guys, I would be delighted if you could answer me some newbie quetions (except Colonization, my last experience with Civ was in Commodore Amiga):

1 - How do I increase my gold?
    2 - I noticed that growing a city does not exactly mean the increase of the percentage for getting independence and consequently victory. What is the key for faster independence? I try to bring more and more people to cities but it doesn't get better though.
    3 - Is there any particular timing when should we start diplomacy?
    4 - I see a lot of pictures in the map with resources like food, fish, etc. Can we make colonists or any others pick up food we see in the territory?
    5 - With what percenteage do we get victory? Do we need to get such percenteage in every city you build?
    6- After getting "victory", do we pass for for another level?

Thanks guys. Please help me, I'm getting desperate and I feel I just need to understand these few important issues in the game.

Regards,

Ludgi.

2. Andvare

Andvare Chieftain

1. Sell more stuff, manufacture more stuff to sell. Get more silver. Get more gold from other Europeans and Natives (attack them, or trade with them, or both)
    2. Less population = faster independence, and smaller REF. New pops are full Tory, no matter how high your rebel sentiment is.
    3. Wage war against the other Europeans as soon as possible. Either trade with the natives, and try to get them on your side, or trade with them at first, and then burn them to the ground and steal their treasure.
    4. ? Pick up food?
    5.? Percentage, what percentage?
    6. ? Level, what level?

Have you played the game?

3. Ludgi

Ludgi Chieftain

Andvare, first of all, thanks for your fast reply. Indeed, I have already played the game, already have it, but I am no more than a simple beginner, at least in this new Colonization.

In respect of my previous questions:
    1 - Get more silver...how? And how do I sell stuff? For instance, put my colonist near a native, talk to him and ask him if he wants to buy any of my goods?
    2 - Ok, I believe I will try to order only the main guys to join the settlement.
    3 - Ok ;)
    4 - When I mentioned "pick up food" I refer to those small pictures of resources all over the map (like fishes, food, etc) - is there any possibility to order someone (either a fisherman, a colonist, a pioneer, anyone) to pick up those resurces or those small pictures only mean that in that part of land it is more profitable to build a settlement and benefit more from those resources? I do not really know what it means.
    5 - When I say percentage I mean that blue bar that appears near the name of the city that keeps growing or decreasing and names 1%...10%...20%...18%.., depending on the progress of that city.
    6- After we get "victory", what does it happen? Is there another level or we just keep exploring and colonizing the world and attacking the other nations?

Thanks once again Andvare. ;)

4. dalgo

dalgo Chieftain

Understand that Col is basically a trading game. When you build your first colony start producing goods that you can sell in europe. Initially it will just be raw materials (ore, fur, cotton etc). Later you can make more money by producing finished goods such as cloth and rum. Have a look round your colony screen and see what the different buildings are for and move your colonists between them to see what they do. Obviously you must have cotton in your colony before you can make cloth so if you have suitable land you can have one colonist planting cotton in the field and another turning it into cloth.

Some colonies are best for producing cloth, others are better for sugar and rum or furs and coats. The best way is just to dive into the game and play it. In the end you'll learn more from your own mistakes than from listening to what others tell you (come to think of it that applies to RL too).

5. kayapo

kayapo Chieftain

1- Load goods onto a ship and sail to Europe to sell there. If you want to sell to the natives load a ship or a wagon train with goods and walk on top of a village. Press the trade button and sell to them.

4- You can only benefit from resources on the map if they are within your city limits. A worker can work that title for whatever bonus that resource gives but you can't work that title if it isn't within one of your cities limits.

5- That is the percentage of that city's population that support your revolution. When you are ready to go independant you need 50% of your entire population to support the idea. Go to the revolution screen to check that numbers and to call for independance.

6- After you beat the king the game is over. You can continue playing i believe, there isn't any point though =)

6. Ludgi

Ludgi Chieftain

Thanks dalgo and kayapo.
    One more thing please: what kind of units do you recommend to use / create in order to attack and efficiently kill the natives and rob them?
    How do I create those units? At the very beggining most of them have only a strength power of "2" maximum, which is the same as the natives have. This means we only have a 50% possibility of having success and I would like to know how to improve it.

Regards,

Ludgi.

7. kayapo

kayapo Chieftain

If you want to attack natives in the beggining the best way is to buy a cannon or two from Europe. They are rather cheap early on you can buy two easily. A couple of cannons and 4 soldiers is enough to take just about any native civ if you are carefull.

To make a soldier you need guns. Any colonist can be a soldier as long as you have some guns. If you have guns AND horses you can make a dragoon witch are good for attacking. Soldiers are better for protecting your cannons though.

8. pvt chaos

pvt chaos Chieftain

Dragoons work quite well against the native's.

Also you could try and play as the spanish, their leaders give the units a bonus against native's in combat.