How do I get out of this situation? (nuclear powered enemy)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Rittmeyer, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Rittmeyer

Rittmeyer Prince

Ok, so I need help with an especific situation: basically, I was lazy in picking a victory condition, eventually going for conquest/domination. I have four vassals, there are two free civs left but one of them is almost finishing the spaceship.

I obvioulsy went for them, but the big problem is: a) his capital is not coastal. b) at first, I attacked their coastal cities, easily razing four of them and keeping one with the intention of spearheading to their capital (3 tiles away, inland). Problem is, next turn they nuke the hell out of this spearhead city, anihilating my SoD.

What can I do to get this sorted out? I don't see anyways of getting that city in a single turn, so I fell like any SoD I land will be eaten by nukes.

Also, he has an SDI, which I lack (but I can problably get one before he wins, if that's the case).

One extra question: one turn after I declared, the guy bribed the second free civ in war against me. I though the AI would not take bribes to attack nuclear powered civs?

2. vhhawk

vhhawk Warlord

How close is he on the spaceship, and which civ is he?

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

On the turn you declare, capture a city amphibiously, shell the capitol with tactical nukes, and use paratroopers off transports.

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Shame on you for not having the SDI on BTW ( TMIT has the point ... well, except if his cap is beyond paratrooper range ). As the AI will not use tac nukes on boats as much as that, your fear of being nuked would be reduced to far less than half.

5. Rittmeyer

Rittmeyer Prince

Ok guys, thanks for the answers, I haven't though of paratroopers and it seens like they were the weapon of choice. Ends up I won a diplomatic victory turns later due to vassals voting on me. I wasn't expecting that because I don't completely understand how the voting for ONU works (sometimes it seens like it's so many turns between a resolution and another, and sometimes they just seem to come really fast. At this point, they were taking forever, and I though he would get to space before I won). Anyway, thanks, the answers were still useful.

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Do what now?:confused::eek::crazyeye:

7. magicwalker

magicwalker Chieftain

1. Take a city amphibiously.
    2. Move your transports into the city.
    3. Unload the paratroopers, who now have an action available to them.
    4. Paratrooper drop the capital.
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I think they'll reach XD.

Close. Swap 4 and 5 and replace "???" with "nuke their capitol to hell" and you've got it ;).

9. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I'll try anything that lets me use both Marines and Paratroopers! (And nukes to boot.) :D

You won't see me going to war with Modern Armor only. (Why do armored units get City Raider promotions, by the way? Wouldn't it be the role of the infantry to do the close combat involved? Sure, give Tanks the bombardment capability, as they are practically artillery on tracks...)

10. HanzooznaH

HanzooznaH Chieftain

1. Steal Underpants
    2. ???
    3. Profit