How do I get rid of nukes?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by dday135, Jan 2, 2010.

1. dday135

dday135 Chieftain

I read somewhere that one way of doing it is to make the manhattan project team-only, and so I changed the stats in the projectinfo xml file. However this does not seem to have worked, as all the civs could use nukes regardless of this change.

Does anyone know of a hack to remove nukes or limit them to a single nation (that does the manhattan project)?

The problem I have with nukes is the AI keeps overusing it, and in the modern era each turn takes forever due to the endless nuke animation. It's really frustrating and makes the game rather boring.

2. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

I'm not sure how to remove it, so my reply is likely to be useless...

But let me just say this. I find it surprising that you have this problem. In all my years of playing civ 4, the AI has never-ever launched a nuke. Not even once. Not at all. Either it gets banned by the UN, or no one builds the Manhattan Project, or I make sure that my enemies can't have uranium if they look like they might be trying to make nukes. (I either use spies, bombers, or just pillage the old fashioned way). I don't really understand why overuse of nukes should be a problem for you but not for me. I suppose that our different play-styles just lead the AI to behave a bit differently.

3. dday135

dday135 Chieftain

Have you tried playing Beyond the sword starting at modern era? I have played like 4 games now in that, and every single game has nuke happy AI. In fact whenever I declare war, my ally nation and my enemy go into a nuking frenzy.

4. AlphaShard

AlphaShard Emperor

Just ban the nukes with the UN that is what I do. You can also turn off animation and effects.

5. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

No. I haven't tried that. The furthest advanced start I use is renaissance. I sometimes like to do 3v4, always war, aggressive AI, donut map, renaissance start - maybe I'll try modern next time. :)

6. J-man

J-man Deity

Start up Civ, click "custom game" and select "no nukes".

Edit: My bad, there is on such option but I could have sworn there was one (and there should be one). Anyway, you can try to make the hammer cost of nukes -1:hammers:, that should work.

7. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

I start building the Manhattan Project. That tends to keep the AI from building it (why build it when I do all the work and they reap the benefits after it's build). Then a turn or two before it's done, I shut it down and start building in another city. I go back and forth between two cities and the wonder doesn't get built until the UN outlaws nukes.

8. davelisowski

davelisowski Spartan

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Set the cost of manhattan to -1 hammers in the XML in custom assets.

10. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

You could make the project a world wonder that gives a "nuke" resources like Hollywood and Broadway and change the nuke requirement to that resource. Then you can control who gets nukes.

11. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

It's better than being nuked.

You have to research the appropriate tech (I forget which one it is), then build the wonder, then wait for the resolution to come up, then have enough votes to get the resolution passed. It's not as simple as you might think. And yes, I've seen the no-nukes resolution get voted down.

12. J-man

J-man Deity

Appropriate tech is mass media. In my experience the non proliferation treaty is usually one of the first treaties that comes up to vote and the Ai almost always votes yes IF there are no nukes in the world yet.

If somebody has nukes then AI usually votes it down. In earlier versions of civ 4 the Ai virtually always voted yes for the non proliferation treaty. That could be exploited. If you had a tech lead you could build a few nukes (or perhaps even a large number) and then build the UN and ban nukes. You would be the only one with nukes. A patch fixed this.

13. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

I found if I don't build the project, then the AI doesn't or it gets UN'd out of the game quickly. Only had two games involving nukes and in both I built the project. Have to admit though, it was fun using them. Build a bunch before they are outlawed and then you can use them without getting nuked back. Saved my butt from losing a culture victory game a little while ago..though I got dog piled anywas and lost.

Nice graphic though

14. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

Are you serious?? Almost every civ will use them, liberally in fact.