How do I install mods for Civ 5?

It depends. There are basically two ways to install a mod.

1> If you're downloading through the in-game Mod Browser, then there's nothing to it: select the mod, hit "Install Mod", and it'll do the rest... assuming you configured your game correctly when you set it up. (There have been problems.)

2> The manual way. In Windows 7, files are stored in My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization . Other operating systems will be different, but you get the idea.

That directory contains a MODS directory, which in turn contains one directory per mod. If a mod (like mine) simply provides a zip file attached to a post in a forum like this, OR if step #1 failed for any reason, you can just unzip/move files directly into this directory. (Actually, any subdirectory of this directory automatically detects as well, so if you want to sort the mods into a few groups you can.) The next time you load the game it'll automatically add them to the list of usable mods.

thanks but in the game when I click on mods I can't seem to search for mods. all I find is the ones that came with the game/DLC. I am running XP now but will switch to windows 7 in a few days.

Top Bottom