1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I kill happiness?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Wumper, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

I started palying civ V again and came back to this mod. I love almost everything about it but I bumped into the same issue, happiness. The base system is crap and while this one is much better in theory, in practice it makes me want to quit. My happiness changes randomly, there are way too many things to take into account, it's not clear how tall can my cities grow, how much can I annex, sometimes the needs are impossible to meet etc.

I know it's a core part of the mod so I can't disable it but could I disable every single source of unhappiness. I looked into the defines and had moderate succes. Culture, tech, poverty, speicalists and religion no longer give any unhappiness but i can't find the defines for distress. Does anyone know how could I achieve this?

2. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

Distress wasn't there half year ago, it replaced crime in the game. But I saw in the code, he hasn't renamed it, cause of.... Lazyness? :crazyeye:

3. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

SO it should be disorder right? I changed that too but for some reason disorder still gives unhappiness.

4. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

Probably because renaming things is horrible to do:
    1) Renaming things take time. You need to make the substitution in every files, and the name appear in multiple different form: DISORDER, disorder, Disorder.
    2) It breaks compatibility with other things. By keeping the same name, modmod that used to give -10% crime now give -10% distress

Weird. Try to make a bug report about it? https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Gazebo, tu_79 and vyyt like this.
  5. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

I'm also not sure what should I set the modifiers to. This is for example the value for disorder:

-- Value by which yield/threshold difference is divded.
    INSERT INTO Defines (
    Name, Value)
    SELECT 'BALANCE_UNHAPPY_CITY_BASE_VALUE_DISORDER', '100'
    WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_CITY_HAPPINESS' AND Value= 1 );
    Should it be 0? 1000? 0.1?

6. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

Maybe I could fiddle around with these modifiers. At the "factors that decreese needs" section a flat 1000% should do the trick. I just don't know what are the things that influence that.

7. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

Check the CityHappiness.sql and change the following:

UPDATE Defines
    SET Value = '50'
    WHERE Name = 'BALANCE_HAPPINESS_THRESHOLD_PERCENTILE' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_CITY_HAPPINESS' AND Value= 1 );

to:

UPDATE Defines
    SET Value = '1'
    WHERE Name = 'BALANCE_HAPPINESS_THRESHOLD_PERCENTILE' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE_CITY_HAPPINESS' AND Value= 1 );

This is the function to define the median for all yield based need calculation. Defining the median to 1% should push all cities above the "median" and nullify the unhappiness, if the city generate atleast 1 of everything.

8. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

So, basically, you want to remove the happiness system completely from the game, right?

Can't you disable it with the Really Advanced Setup mod? I have never tried the option, but I am pretty sure I saw it there in the screen where you can enable/disable OCC, permanent war, barbarians, etc.

9. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

Doesn't seem to work. I changed it to 1 but I'm getting the same unhappiness.

I found a really roundabout way though, some buildings decreese needs and I can amplify that effect. So I changed the powerty modifier of the aqueduct from -10% to -200% and it works wonderfully. The only problem is, it only works with new buildings so I'm gonna have to restart. I'm gonna try and add every negative modifier to the palace building as a global modifier.

10. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

? Have you seen my post above? There's a much easier way, you don't need to touch the code at all.

11. CppMaster

CppMaster King

Or change HappinessDefault to 9000 in "Community Balance Patch\Balance Changes\Difficulty\DifficultyMod.xml" :p

12. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

@Wumper what difficulty were you playing on? Higher difficulty means less free happiness, more unhappiness from faster rising global medians and an overall more difficult game, which means having to make suboptimal decisions empire-development-wise more often, which, in turn, means even more unhappiness.

13. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

That would have weird consequences on the gloden ages.

tu_79 likes this.
  14. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Happiness is a core system for VP. I understand that you want to remove it. Giving a basic handicap of +20 for human might be enough. Where CppMaster said.

Anyways, I encourage you to understand happiness in its current state. It's not that hard. There are a couple of guides in the strategy subforum.

glider1 and vyyt like this.
  15. CppMaster

CppMaster King

Yep, almost endless golden ages. Removing unhappiness will have similar effect with less impact. I didn't actually mean exactly 9000, it's just a meme ;)

16. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

How many times did I have discussed with Gazebo? :lol:

Kim Dong Un and CppMaster like this.
  17. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

I really recommend you stick with it. The happiness system is a feedback tool on performance - if you listen to it, you’ll become a better player in the long term. If you’re constantly getting crushed by it, you’re bringing bad habits from vanilla over to VP, and it’ll slow your climb up the difficulties.

My .02.

G

18. Wumper

Wumper Chieftain

I get how happiness works, just the current UI is not well suited for it. It's not apparent how far can your cities grow and it's not apparent if building something will help or not etc. I just don't like that I have to constantly calculate whether or not I can negate some unhappiness with a new building for example. The vanilla system was crap but at least it was easy to understand what's going on and you always knew your limitation.

The other problem is the jumps. I always had that problem, especially later on. One turn I'm at +30, next turn I'm minus -20, next turn I'm back to +20, without any significant change (before ideologies). I just feel like this system is just not suited for the base that it's built on.

As for golden ages, I increased the amount of happiness needed for golden ages by 200 percent, hopefully it should work. I'm playing on Emperor right now.

19. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

I feel you may not be looking in the correct places, then. There's a lot of information available to you in the UI. Top Panel for empire-wide values, City Banner for immediate needs (and future needs if you check the city's growth); in the city screen there's a whole panel on the left dedicated to yield deficiencies and modifiers...you may not be used to it, but it's all there, no secrets. As I said, you'll have a better time with VP in the long term if you familiarize yourself with the content as-is; ejecting the happiness model is going to leave you with a shell of an experience.

Re: swings, sounds like you like to play as wide as possible. You can go wide in VP, but you have to be patient. Just like in Civ4 (and Civ3), overexpansion will kill you if mismanaged.

Emperor without the happiness system is easier than Settler - there's nothing to stop or slow you from doing whatever you want, whenever you want, so there's really no incentive for smart or precise play. It's essentially a sandbox at that point. If that's what you want, fine by me, but it's not going to help you learn VP systems better (not to mention you just kneecapped most policies, many wonders, and beliefs, etc.).

vyyt and glider1 like this.
  20. CppMaster

CppMaster King

How so? AI at Emperor won't be a problem for a beginner? It could killed him or win by some other condition if the player don't play well enough.