How do I make a mod?

Evil Beejeebers

Warlord
Hi, guys and girls

I would like to make my own mod of this game How do I start? I want to take the vanilla game and make my own rules for it. I'd imagine If I copy all the original files and place it in a mod folder that would work? or do I just need the xml, python files etc. ?

I want to make the game have more depth and I am not really satisfied with the mods on here I feel I can make something which is just a little bit different.

I want to create events and make the kings more varied. I want things like European wars effecting your colonies. and I would like to improve the ai.

I would like to make my own mod of this game How do I start?

Do you know how to programm C++ and create a DLL by using a development environment ?
(Many things you mentioned - especially improving AI - can only be done properly by modding DLL.)

Other, easier things - like events - can be done by XML and Python.

Also I suggest, you take a look at one of the big projects like TAC or Religion and Revolution.
(Maybe you can reuse some of the many many features in there.)

thanks for the pointers, I like TAC but I feel it goes to far. R&R I have not noticed that one I will have a look at it. The main reason I want to make my own MOD is because vanilla is so bland but I think a good game is almost there.

If R&R is really good I might just start playing that.

If R&R is really good I might just start playing that.

About RaR:

1. It is based on TAC but adds a lot more.
2. It is not publicly released yet.

If you do not like TAC and think it already goes too far, then you will probably also not like RaR once we release.

But again, maybe there are single features, you might want to extract from TAC (and later on from RaR).

H
I would like to make my own mod of this game How do I start? I want to take the vanilla game and make my own rules for it. I'd imagine If I copy all the original files and place it in a mod folder that would work?

In general: Yes, that, with the correct folder structure.
To be more specific: You only need to copy into your mod what you want to change.
If there's a file which you don't need to touch, then don't copy it.

Top Bottom