1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I make Civ II and III work on my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by Gamebird, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Gamebird

Gamebird Chieftain

Long ago, we bought Civilization II. It doesn't seem to be ToT or any of those other acronyms. It's just Sid Meier's Civilization II by MacSoft, for the Macintosh. It ran fine and we were happy with it. Last spring, we took in one of my husband's computers for repair and ended up leaving the computer with them and having the hard drive installed in a new computer. Sadly, during this process we neglected to remember that our Civ II CD was in the CD drive (stuck in it, actually) of the old computer. The computer store doesn't recall finding it.

Now I have a MacBook, OS 10.4.11. I also have an iMac OS 9.2. That's where my installed copy of Civ II resides. The hard drive has begun making ominous clicking noises, so I'm transitioning all the files I want to keep off of it. That's when I found out that I can't open Civ II on the MacBook. It gives me dark grey icons and when I click on them, it says it can't find the application to open them. Is there any way I can get my version of Civ II to run on this MacBook?

I also own Civ III, but I never liked it (and because of it, never bought Civ IV or any other Civ products). Still, while I was thinking of files I wanted to save, I installed it on the MacBook. However, it won't let me open it without having the CD in the drive. While that's possible since I have the CD, I don't want to have to carry the CD with me wherever I go on the off chance I might want to play Civ III. I'd rather just be able to click the dern application and have it open. Is there a way to install Civ III so I can play it without the CD? I don't care if I lose some of the movies or features.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. Gamebird

Gamebird Chieftain

Hello there.

Update: I've found the installation CD for Civ II. It has inside the CD drive of my husband's new computer. I suppose that tells you how often we use CDs...

Speaking of how often things happen, I'd love to get an answer or at least a response to my issue above. Maybe I should see if there's a support line...