1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I remove GRUB?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by WhiteEagle22, Nov 8, 2008.

1. WhiteEagle22

WhiteEagle22 Avatar of Justice

Hey all,

How do I remove GRUB from my PC, since I'm stuck at this screen during boot-up:
    I want to use my PC, but first I need to remove GRUB.

Thanks in advance,
    Nathan P.

PS. Never just delete a partition containing Linux, or you'll wind up like me. ;)

2. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Format HDD and start over fresh?

Honestly I'm not sure. Maybe you can get somewhere with a Knoppix boot disc.

3. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I had a similar problem with my bootloader (EDIT: Actually I think I did the exact same thing as you! i.e. erased the Linux partition!). I downloaded some program that I stuck onto a windows boot disk and ran, which allowed me to edit the MBR (master boot record) and set the active partition to the windows partition. IIRC, the BIOS will load the bootloader if and only if no partition has its "active partition" flag set. If there is an active partition, it will load the bootsector of that partition, completely ignoring the bootloader.

DISCLAIMER: This is entirely from memory so may be wrong!

4. lndm

lndm Prince

Well, IIRC MS OSes want the partition set as active. In a dual boot system the bootloader (in the MBR) will call the DOS partition which then expects the flag to be set.

Anyway, three options. If you are reinstalling windows, just format the lot. If you have windows and just want the bootloader gone, use the dos command [fdisk /mbr] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013. Thirdly you could use a Linux CD or reinstall Linux if that's what you want.

5. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Unless you want to reinstall Windows, fdisk /mbr or fixmbr are your best options ( The latter can be done from Windows recovery console)

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Haha, I did the same thing and ended up with the same problem awhile back. What lndm and stickciv mentioned should fix it. If not, since you've got two partitions, you can always install Windows again on the second partition to reset the boot table to Windows' (don't worry about activation since the install is only for resetting the MBR - you don't even have to let it finish installing). Then you'll have XP's/Vista's bootloader working, with two identical Windows entries, the second of which should be the original. From there you can edit boot.ini (pre-Vista) or using EasyBCD (Vista) to eliminate the extra install from the boot menu.