How do I restart civilization V?

The Grimwar

Chieftain
Not a game, the game itself. Ok, here's what happened.

I downloaded the Community Balance Patch, and even though the mod's inactive, it still changes the UI. I also think it's seriously messing up my mod games, making the UI incompatible with JFD's latest mods on Steam.

The problem is... I've downloaded Community Patch before, and after I uninstalled it I forgot the problem with it and downloaded it from CivFanatics...again.

Facepalm all you want, you have every right to, but how do I completely remove the effects? I know there's a trick somewhere on Steam that I used for this exact situation, but I don't remember what it is.

It was completely fine until I loaded my latest mod game and got an error message from the computer itself...I clicked ok and it immediately exited out of Civilization V.

This page is bookmarked so I don't forget it again, I need that specific trick where you right-click the name of the game in the Steam Library, and then...reboot it, somehow.

It neither accesses the files, nor opens the file browser.

Last edited:
I am in a situation where Civilization 5 now doesn't work with ANY mods or maps. The only way I can play is with the vanilla version of the game. I too had Community Balance Patch and now I am wondering if it screwed up my install.

You probably installed EUI. Remove it from your DLC folder.

The steam function you're after is probably Verify Integrity of the Game Cache, which might remove EUI but idk if it would given that EUI is just a new folder rather than an alteration to existing files.

"error message from the computer itself" is of course too vague a comment to diagnose anything from. Unless you've broken something else however you should be fine with the above.

Top Bottom