How do I tell cities to stop growing?

Ron Wee

Chieftain
Cutting food and letting them starve is cruel :nono:

I remember there was a button to disable grow in Civ5

I have found the best way to eliminate large amounts of city population is to let barbarians take the city thus razing it. :devil:

That answer aside, just lock the population to non-food tiles and build settlers to reduce population instead of letting them starve.

You realize there is a quick questions thread in the page ... no need to create a whole thread about this. And as Victoria said, just click on your city, there are icons in which you can click. GO to the food part : click once, you'll prioritize food production; click twice, you'll avoid its production.

I did not say starve.... Using the food button does not make them starve, it gets as close to 0 growth as possible, you can hover over the city name and see if it is +\- 1 after amd manually adjust.

You no doubt know all this so I will revert to the often mis-understood answer...

No

If you want your cities to stop growing but not touching the food production, you can also build no cities near fresh water and never build granaries, aqueducts and other things that give housing. Housing limits the growth speed severely and stops it completely once you are (5?) Population over the housing limit.

On the city screen you can click on the food option twice to say avoid food.
I don't believe this is accurate. From what I've read and seen in several sources, clicking on it twice, creating the red circle with a slash "Ghostbuster symbol" means the governor will completely disregard food as a consideration from citizen placement, which is different than avoiding it. For example, a size 7 Petra city with 7 mined desert hills will most likely still work the 7 mined desert hills as their yield aside from food is likely better than other tiles which may have less food; those tiles also produce 2 food which means the city will continue to grow. So if you want to stop growth, I would say manually assign tiles, and keep in mind that adding an internal trade route will make it start to grow again, just as adding a food district (campus, holy site, theater, or entertainment) to a city that it already has a trade route with.

Just don't build any additional housing capacity buildings to a city you don't want to grow (and make sure you don't have it set to food focus nor have locked tiles with food) and it will virtually stop on it's own soon enough between"default focus" breaking ties if cities producing same total yield by production (e.g. If Tile A is 2f 1h and Tile B is 1f 2h default focus prefers B) and Housing Capacity growth penalties.

Top Bottom