1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I uninstall the game? (With intent to reinstall)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mrdie, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Mrdie

Mrdie Lavdi!

Edit: Never mind, I uninstalled it, and reinstalled, and all is fine.

((I'm using Windows XP, just for referance)

The game doesn't appear in the add/remove programs list for me to uninstall, so, I had a manly idea, I will take all files and etc related to Civilization IV, put them in recycle bin, and try to see if I can install the game. I put disk in, and it still says "Play" (It obviously doesn't play the game)

Now, my friend says if I delete the files in the recycle bin, then all is fine and the startup menu will say "Install" and etc instead of "Play" however if I do this I risk my Civilization IV being always on "installed" and never being able to play it again.

For anyone who is curious, I want to uninstall it because when I try to download the patches for it (this has happend with all the patches) it says "Cannot find Civilization IV" and, if all goes well, a reinstall will make the patches see that I, indeed, have Civilization IV installed.

So..yeah..any help?

2. Blahness

Blahness Chieftain

Odd, I searched myself, and there seems to be no "uninstall" icon. o_O'

Check the readme or something.

3. Mrdie

Mrdie Lavdi!

Doesn't mention uninstalling. O.o

4. Robbobloke

Robbobloke Chieftain

Maybe just delete the game directory manually and install again... The game shows up in my add/remove programs as "Sid Meier's Civilization 4".

5. Mrdie

Mrdie Lavdi!

Doesn't appear. I can't play the game anyway. Deleted the files that were in recycle bin. And it still lists it as "play" :/

Edit: I explored the CD and clicked setup, and yay it is installing. :O

6. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Chieftain

Yes it is on the add/remove programs list. Look for "Sid Meier's Civilization 4". I had trouble finding it too at first

7. Mrdie

Mrdie Lavdi!

It wasn't on the list. I can assure you.

8. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Chieftain

Funny, thats how I uninstalled it. I also am using XP (home). (wanted a clean install for the patch)

9. Mrdie

Mrdie Lavdi!

Yay! I uninstalled, reinstalled, and got the patch to work! Oh glorious day!

*Tears off clothes and runs around naked the local mall screaming "YAAAAYYY FOOORR THEEE DAAAYYYYY"*

10. Gerlach

Gerlach Chieftain

Interesting. On mine, it appears, but when you hit remove, it tries to re-install the patch! Very strange.

11. santaclauz

santaclauz Chieftain

Just run setup.exe on CD. It will eventually uninstall Civ4 if you have it installed.

12. botski

botski Chieftain

I wish MSoft would let you define the string that you will see in Add/Remove programs. It sure is a pain in the arse searching through that massive list because the software threw the publisher's name in front of the program name.

(I spose I could hack the registry.....)

Rant over. :)

13. Gerlach

Gerlach Chieftain

Thanks, Santa. I was hoping there'd be a better way than brute force.