1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I upload a Civ3 scenario I made?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Twind, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Twind

Twind Chieftain

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker on this forum, and this is my first post. I spent a lot of time creating two Civilization 3 scenarios, which I'd like to share with everyone and get feedback on. How do I post the files here? Can someone give me step-by-step instructions?

BTW, my first scenario is a global WWII game, and the second scenario is a post-apocalyptic world that has been wrecked by global warming and resource depletion.

Thanks.

2. Snodmaulvenn

Snodmaulvenn Chieftain

tjs282 likes this.
  3. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Hi, Twind, and weclome to CivFanatics!

How do you upload a scenario depends on its size. If you did only modify .biq, you can simply upload it to the database or even attach to your post.

If you use file folder, you have to use file-sharing site, like Mega, Google Drive, or any similar one.

I highly recommend starting a thread in Completed Scenarios section of this forum. Give a description of your scenario and ideally post a couple of screenshots - this will increase chance of attracting attention. Then give a link to your file uploaded. This way you can avoid using database at all.

Look through threads on Completed Modpacks and Completed Scenarios. This will give you a picture of what a thread can look like.

Wish you best luck!

tjs282 likes this.
  4. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

@Blake00 has his own Civ3-mod-hosting site specifically for SF and fantasy mods, so may be interested in that second one, if it's complete and working.

5. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Woah slight misunderstanding here haha. I do not have my own hosting and am almost as helpless as everyone else out there. What I do have is large file upload access to CivFinatics and I'm also very experienced with using the excellent ModDB site. So when you've seen me performing rescues in my scifi and fantasy scenario hunt thread I was merely uploading the long lost scenarios to either here at CFC or at ModDB or both!

So I don't have hosting to offer but tagging me was still a good idea as I can still help. :)

@Twind how big are your scenarios? A regular user should be able to upload a file here up to around maybe 20mb (the site will tell you 150mb or something but thats not true) to either a fourm post attachment or a download page over in the Civ3 downloads section. So if your stuff is bigger than that then yeah you'll probably have troubles, but its worth trying to see what happens.

Mistake number 1 is that modders love to use winzip (because it's built into windows) leading to big blown out downloads, which are no match for 7zip files. A 7z file with max compression settings can knock waaaay more off a mod download size than winzip or even Rar.
    Mistake number 2 is using your personal cloud storage or dodgy upload sites like rapidshare and mega upload etc as those downloads never last (and some force nasty/dangerous advertising in the face of people want to try your stff). I spend my days constantly having to rescue mods from old threads here with dead download links to those sites lol.

If you want to add a big file to here at CFC then you contact the moderators or someone with large file upload access like me. You can upload the mod to your cloud storage (Microsoft onedrive, googledrive etc) and i can get it and upload it to here at CFC, then you link to it in a forum post or downloads section page. However that of course means you don't have control over the download and you'd have to contact me or someone every time you make a change. As much as I love having my name on everything lol I think it's important for a modder to have control other their own work.

Therefore my number 1 recommendation is ModDB. ModDB is literally a ginormous extremely popular site dedicated to hosting mods and scenarios for every game under the sun for FREE. They'll even host all your pictures and videos about the mod too. Always amazes me that no one in the Civ community (or at least the retro Civ community) ever thinks to use them. They're literally setup and ready to go for even the oldest of civ games as I've got a friggin CIV ONE mod hosted there haha.

You can either setup a full mod scenario page (for example here's one I made for Drift's great old Master of Myrror Civ3 mod) with lots of nice pictures, videos and of course the scenario download itself OR you can just add your file as a basic download there too. The ModDB file uploader has an AWESOME option to mirror an existing file download url so you don't even have to upload the file again if you've got it on your cloud as it will just copy it across (have tested it with googledrive). For more info on how to set this up I made small guide for another civ3 modder with a huuuge file a while back here:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/downfall-post-apocalyptic-mod.652989/page-2#post-15756293

Once your mod is hosted there, you then just link to it here in a forum post or in a downloads section page. Happy to help if you have any troubles there. :)

Spread the word people! The more modders use moddb for hosting instead of dodgy uploader sites the less masterpieces will disappear over time. When you work your ass off on something, you want it to last a long time right? :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Quintillus and tjs282 like this.
  6. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I imagine one reason it's not used much is the "once burned twice shy" effect. Many years ago there was another "ginormous extremely popular site dedicated to hosting mods and scenarios for every game under the sun for FREE". When that site disappeared without much warning a substantial body of work was lost, including work done by people who were no longer around to reupload it elsewhere. To be clear, I'm not saying anything against ModDB. I'm merely pointing out one possible cause for reluctance to put all our eggs in one basket.

7. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

I assume you're referring to the AtomticGamer disaster? Yeah that was a big site, dunno if it was quite the size of ModDB/IndieDB though but yeah it was a big. Although they hadn't been around as long as ModDB unless you count the smaller sites that merged into them (which ironically included the shutdown of '3D downloads' leading to a whole bunch of dead downloads back then too!). ModDB has been around nearly been 20 years now so hopefully those guys have a better business/staff/advertising/membership model for long term survival haha, but who knows... experience has indeed taught us that nothing is certain, that's for sure! For example CivFinatics is no certainty either as look what happen at a Apolyton.. once the juggernaut of the Civ community.. maybe in 10 or 20 years from now Thunderfall either wants to or is forced to hand the keys to someone else who appears to have the same dedication but then doesn't deliver on it and the whole thing starts to unravel Poly style. Anything can happen...

Both are still a way better option than cloud storage and free miscellaneous file download hosting sites (eg megaupload and rapidshare etc) as with those sites your download is probably gonna last 5 years at best before something goes wrong lol. Whereas here at CivFinatics and over at ModDB we're hopefully talking decades instead.

A lot of the large sized mods here for Civ4-6 are hosted on ModDB so when I see Civ3 modders struggling with large file hosting issues it just seems the natural fit. So that's why I preach ModDB for people with large sized downloads who want to maintain control over their files (instead of surrendering direct control and having to pester other people every time they update their work), and then preach CivFinatics for everything and everyone else. And of course for people who want that extra long term security on a huge file, use both sites haha! When I rescued Drift's Master of Myrror mods I put them on both sites. Wasn't taking any chances with that one haha!

Steam has mod file hosting these days too which 'in theory' should be another reliable option however the game developer has to turn on mod support for their game and it doesn't look like Firaxis have done that for Civ3 sadly, or Civ4 for that matter!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  8. Twind

Twind Chieftain

It won't let me attach the ".biq" file to this reply.

9. Fortis1

Fortis1 Prince

Put it into a zip file.

10. Twind

Twind Chieftain

OK, I turned it into a zip file. This is the post-apocalyptic global warming scenario. Can anyone play it?

Attached Files: