1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do promotions from cities work?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ljb123, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Ljb123

Ljb123 Chieftain

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I have a barracks armory military academy and the Brandenburg gate. I was excited Bc that was 4 buildings gave 15 experience. I was expecting a nice 4 promotions but I only got 3, what I would normally get w/o the gate! Does the 4th promotion take more xp? Any other comments about promotions would be welcomed as well.

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Each subsequent promotion takes more XP to gain.

Also, fyi, each unit can only gain XP from killing barbs a limited number of times. (I think it's five). So to get the most XP from barb hunting, you have to rotate your units in and out of the field.

It's also better to stick with one promotion line (e.g. either go all rough terrain bonus or all flat terrain bonus) than it is to mix and match. You get better promotions the higher up one line you go, which is very hard to climb if you split evenly between two lines. I tend to go for the rough terrain bonuses as their tends to be more rough terrain in my experience.

3. Ljb123

Ljb123 Chieftain

Yeh man thanks thats what I figured I just wanted clarification, I was really only mad because I really wanted logistics for my artillery right off the bat

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Right??

Sorry I couldn't get more specific on how the XP curve climbs, I don't really know but I think it gets steep. There are certain policies you can adopt that give you more XP in battle (I think there is one in honor) as well.

5. buchengshi

buchengshi Warlord

Without Brandenburg Gate your units would have received 2 promotions, not 3.

The first promotion costs 10 points. The next costs 20 more, then 30 more, then 40 more, then 50 more, etc. (10/30/60/100/150/210/280/450/etc)

Killing barbs can only net xp until the 30 mark.