How do the ancient ruins work later in the game?

sonicandfffan

Warlord
I found some ancient ruins on turn 180 and decided to test what happened.

Several reloads (random seed) and the only rewards I've received are different amounts of gold, advanced weapons (free upgrade) and a population boost.

Is it still possible to get faith/culture/science from these ruins at this stage?

Seems to be a "no" on tech ruins. I created a huge map with one other civ while I played as Shoshone, just to see how far I could make it through the tech tree. The tech option disappeared after all the ancient era techs were researched.

On a slightly related note, the upgrade ruins are fun when you stumble on one with a unit that has a huge tech gap. Knights into cavalry is fun.

I did get culture, though at the time I was running like 700 culture per turn so getting 20 was not a cause for celebration. I don't think you can tech up from a ruin after a certain date (though someone correct me if I'm wrong), it would be funny if you could find the secrets of Nuclear Fusion from.....an ancient ruin left 6000+ yrs. ago.

And what surprise it was for me when I dropped a Paratrooper on an Ancient Ruin and received an XCOM. Those ancients sure were wise!

I've received technology once, and one unit upgrade, the rest of the time it was just gold. Keep in mind I rushed one path and had a bunch of really primitive techs so maybe that's what I was still able to get tech.

Ruins can only give Ancient Era techs. The best reward during the exploration phase is unit upgrade.

I played a Terra map with Shoshone, and sent some Pathfinders onto the new continent late in the game to pick up ruins. IIRC, Maps, Camps, Gold, Culture, and Upgrades were the only options I could pick; Gold and Culture don't scale with time, so neither was particularly impressive at that stage of the game. I would say if you're going to pop a ruin late game, pick a unit that can upgrade in a fun way and hope for the best.

So, to recap, no techs past ancient ones (with Shoshones you can leave one you don't need for later to make cycling easier)

Faith won't work after religion founding.

Upgrades are only once per unit, so no point sending already free upgraded units.

Culture and gold doesn't scale, but free pop is sweet.

I think maps and barbarian locations are always on :( please correct me if I am wrong.

I think maps and barbarian locations are always on :( please correct me if I am wrong.

I definitely got both from ancient ruins in the late stages of the game. So yes, they are always on.
(But I cannot confirm whether map is on also after satellites, no idea.)

Top Bottom