How do villages generate their teaching specialties?

ditchhook

Chieftain
Hi,

I've played several Colonization games now, using a huge map option. On several occasions one of my scouts has been able to poke a nose into every tribe on the map, but they could not find all the planter options. Sugar planter seems especially rare in my experience. Tobacco planter especially common.

How are the specialities offered by the native tribes generated? It seems to have something to do with nearby terain features. Or is it random? (I realize fur trader comes up on occasions, and wonder if the criteria is different than for fur trapper.)

Also, has anyone ever experienced the 'Fountain of Youth' event? That was my favorite event of the original game. The designers might have thought it clever to include it, but with a very low probability.

The skill served is based on the terrain type that the tribe lives on. So if they live on a hill you'll get an ore worker skill for instance.

Sugar planter is rare, so when you get one put her in a school!

If you play my mod Age of Discover II then colonists will gain mastery of the skill they are working over time, like in the original. So this removes a lot of the late-game reliance on tribe education which is massively expensive and limited by halfway through. :)

Also, has anyone ever experienced the 'Fountain of Youth' event? That was my favorite event of the original game. The designers might have thought it clever to include it, but with a very low probability.

Unfortunately it is no longer in the game. There were a lot more fun elements in the original game such as the 'Fountain of Youth' and 'You have found one of the Seven Cities of Cibola!'. However the designers evidently decided that conquering the New World was a serious business and allowing the player to have too much fun would make the game unbalanced. :)

Ouch harsh words, cold morning in Auckland today? ;)

hehe - I honestly do like Col2 and I wouldn't go back to play the original game in preference. It's just that the remake does seem to have lost some of the light-hearted enjoyment of the original.

hehe - I honestly do like Col2 and I wouldn't go back to play the original game in preference. It's just that the remake does seem to have lost some of the light-hearted enjoyment of the original.

I agree. At least they haven't eliminated Dan Quayle from CivIV.

The skill served is based on the terrain type that the tribe lives on. So if they live on a hill you'll get an ore worker skill for instance.

So how does Fur Trapper/Fur Trader get determined?

In theory, could silver miner come up, on the rare instance of a village placed on a silver-studded hill?

So how does Fur Trapper/Fur Trader get determined?

In theory, could silver miner come up, on the rare instance of a village placed on a silver-studded hill?

Dale might know more about this because he's been doing more modding than I have, but neighboring terrain also seems to be a factor. When I see a few prime tobacco resources, the local native village is a tobacco planter more than half the time. Neighboring mountain tiles with silver also give silver miners.

I always meant to look up exactly how it's done in the SDK, I should do it. :)

First off, the Civilizations.xml file lets you determine which proffessions a civ Can offer.... but which get picked seem to be partly random, partly based on terrain (I don't know, I'd have to dig into the SDK to find out.)

If you're making a scenario (or using world-builder to uh... "enhance" your game), you can use the player edit feature to demolish then rebuild a native settlement, "rerolling" the random element. Doing this you can see that nearby terrain (though not nessicarily bonuses) have an effect on what's chosen... scout just seems to be a small random chance for any.

Firaxis really should have implemented some sort of check to make sure all the planter types (the types not recruitable... which would include scout) were offered at least somewhere on the map.

Fountain of Youth was included in AoD2 as well.

I believe it is determined by the randomly selected plot that tribal city is working. So if the city is working a marsh square you'll get a sugar planter. This is why it's so rare to see a sugar planter training city, and even more rare to see a silver miner training city.

Top Bottom