How do we FORCE gaming companies to start releasing FINISHED Games???

swordspider

Dread Multiplayer
This is ridiculous. I like CiV generally speaking, but this overall general culture in the gaming world of releasing games at 75% completion is getting ridiculous and we've got to figure out some way of stopping it. CiV is incomplete, if you don't think so, well there have already been 2 patches and the multiplayer is literally unplayable unless you are playing only with 'friends' that you know load and don't crash- and even then it still crashes on occasion. I know a lot of people out there defend the game by saying there will be more patches and you can mod it, and that is fine and good, BUT you seem to be forgetting the primary, underlying concept that the GAME WAS RELEASED INCOMPLETE!

This ongoing trend is an INSULT to you and me and the gaming community who actually pay our hard-earned money for these games. It is like buying a hamburger and getting it with 2 bites out of it and then eating it anyway, it is so ridiculous yet we allow it to happen.

Maybe a better question:

How do we get people to STOP writing in CAPS and TRIPPLE question marks?!?!?!

That being said, I don't like the state the game was in at release neither... hopefully it'll get fixed.

use force....

You can't force them unless you stop buying their games and get everyone else too.

Good luck with that.

#1 Stop preordering games
#2 don't buy the game until your sure its at the point you consider finished
#3 profit

We forfeited that expectation decades ago when we kept buying unfinished games that would be "patched" later.

Now they are not only NOT selling us a completed game, they are selling us a half finished game to be patched later followed by the new darling of the gaming industry....

....DLC $$$$

How much you want to bet that the Devs have more people working on ciV's first DLC then in fixing what they already have out?

Now they are not only NOT selling us a completed game, they are selling us a half finished game to be patched later followed by the new darling of the gaming industry....

....DLC $$$$

Except DLC aren't used in most cases as patches.

They're used as DLC. :rolleyes:

Yeah, preordering is the root of all evil...Don't buy into prerelease hype...reviews are not always accurate.

Civ V is a disappointment, but it was a valuable life lesson. Gaming companies are NEVER going to get my money this easy ever again...:nono:

Pretty much semantics here. Its not uncommon for game designers to leave originally planned features out simply to sell it as DLC. Pretty much any game with day 0 DLC is using this method.

#3 profit

This.

Actually, people who preordered are very much responsible for this desaster to have happened.

PC gaming is going to hell. The end has come.

LoL i would say the end of major developers making decent PC games is near or here depending on your perspective. They all seem to have forgotten that gameplay > pretty graphics. Indy devs on the other hand suck at making graphics most of the time anyway so they have to put that extra effort into gameplay for a remote chance of commercial success.

Pretty much semantics here. Its not uncommon for game designers to leave originally planned features out simply to sell it as DLC. Pretty much any game with day 0 DLC is using this method.

It is not semantics....he simply failed at reading comprehension.

Granted maybe I should have stuck in a comma there....but still.

I never said that DLC's were patches.

"...half finished game to be patched later FOLLOWED by the new darling of the gaming industry....

....DLC $$$$"

you obviously haven't played Hearts of Iron III / Semper Fi. the expansion was the patch.

as an example, everyone here knows there are dozens of factions, units, leaders and alternate leaders probably already created and ready to implement in upcoming DLC content which could have easily been included with the current version. the Incas, the Zulus, Abe Lincoln, etc... you know you want them, they know you want them. 50 bucks is apparantly not enough to get them...

Next time download the demo before buying, will save you 50$ and alot of tears :)

#3 profit

Again, this.

Indirect consequence may be that you never buy another game since the internet hysteria machine amplifies negative opinions, but that's your call as well.

you obviously haven't played Hearts of Iron III / Semper Fi. the expansion was the patch.

as an example, everyone here knows there are dozens of factions, units, leaders and alternate leaders probably already created and ready to implement in upcoming DLC content which could have easily been included with the current version. the Incas, the Zulus, Abe Lincoln, etc... you know you want them, they know you want them. 50 bucks is apparantly not enough to get them...

Of course there is.. the fact that they gave various free DLCs with preorders from certain retailers shows this. There is what 3 or 4 different DLCs just for preorders? How many more do they have laying around waiting to be sold?

The best ways:

1. Go back in time and prevent the internet from ever existing
2. Ensure there is only one kind of computer with no hardware variations
3. Heavily finance developers yourself so they're never short on money and can keep working on the game for years longer before releasing it
4. Find thousands of beta testers who will all agree to NDAs, but are willing to test the game in mind-numbing combinations for about two years after it could have been released
5. With any company that does not follow the delay the game for years strategy nor employs thousands of testers, boycott their games entirely.

I think that would eliminate games being released before they are completely done. Steps one and five are critical.

Top Bottom