How do we FORCE gaming companies to start releasing FINISHED Games???

For all those griping about Civ V, I learned my lesson after rushing out and buying Civ III. As many problems as there is now, compared to that game Civ V is the Eiffel Tower. If I remember correctly, SAM batteries didn't work at all until the final patch, and coastal fortresses were never adequately implemented to be useful in any possible way. There was no game editor on release, and when it did eventually come out, you had to do everything exactly correct or watch the game crash immediately.

And if you're about to say, "but it did get better eventually," no it didn't. It really didn't. For each good new feature they came up with in that game, they removed about three or four good features from Civ II Gold. It's been a warning beacon to me not to trust a brand name ever since.

As for the games industry in general, I do feel that we've passed on to the philosophical Iron Age in many senses. Gone are the days when, growing up, kids of my generation separated our friends into "Nintendo," and "Sega;" heck, Sega doesn't even make consoles anymore. And PC gaming really hasn't been the same since they stopped making "Myst."

Wether or not pre-ordering a game helps future installations of the series, I will never do it again.

lesson learned...

im off to play Xcom now :)

Well, looks like moral of the story is don't pre-order games anymore... Well that sucks. I wish they would just step up and finish their games... I mean who ISN'T going to pre-order Diablo3?!?

I mean who ISN'T going to pre-order Diablo3?!?

Well I can assure you that there will be people will be downloading it from a torrent site.

You see, they are a specie of gamers that all publishers hate the most. They play the full game for free to see whether they want to buy it or not.

Well, given the fact that QA teams are always going to be overwhelmed compared to customers, i'm not sure why people are surprised about completeness in software. Besides, i'd rather have it now and go through the patch process than have it later.

What's gained by releasing the product later, for the consumer?

Well, given the fact that QA teams are always going to be overwhelmed compared to customers, i'm not sure why people are surprised about completeness in software. Besides, i'd rather have it now and go through the patch process than have it later.

What's gained by releasing the product later, for the consumer?

Are you joking? You can play the game rather than trying to ascertain whether the fact that your spears have lost to horsemen 11 times in a row is chance, or whether there are one or more problems with the game engine. Rather than looking through the bug forum here you can look through the strategy forum. You need a newer computer, you pay more for your software, and all for the "privilege" of having it now. I'd rather have you go through the pain and provide the profit margin early on, thank you. I'll save my money and time only for games that work and are fun to play.

As long as gamers remain a fractured individualized community then pretty much it will never change. In business software you make a mistake that breaks a term in a contract, like failing to deliver certain functionality by a certain date you either get sued or put every available resource on the problem and fix it before the customer gets too angry.

PC Gamers actual sit around and argue about the legitamacy of complaints from their fellow gamers, they actual protect for profit companies who have failed to deliver a promised product. Granted it gets very hazy regarding what exactly was promised and what exactly was delivered but occasionally its just plain black and white, like putting multiplayer on the box and not having it enabled when you release the product.

I am continously amazed at the PC game consumer and their masochistic tendancy to allow software companies to lie to them and give them an unfinished product. As someone who has made software, yes there is a fine line between delivering what was promised and having bugs in your software. But it is entirely possible to write any form of software with a very high degree quality.

Most PC gamers who are lamens in terms of software engineering have basically bought into the idea that has been sold to them by the PC development community that its either not possible because the PC is to hard a platform to test or its too expensive. The truth is somewhere in between that and the developers being greedy and lazy. But we as customers, and good capitalists, should always demand the highest level of quality we can imagine.

Simple answer to the question in the title. ....

Don't buy the games until they are finished.

It takes a bit of self-control, but if you wait until say March, read the reviews, see what gets patched, and then look at the nearly final product and decide whether you'll buy it. Waiting at least three patches is a pretty good rule of thumb these days. Or generally until a patch doesn't create a twenty page thread about what's still broken in the game. That's when you consider giving them your money.

And most important of all, NEVER BUY A NEW RELEASE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. These are always junk. They throw whatever they got into a box to get the box on the shelves.

As long as people keep buying this junk, then they'll keep putting out this junk.

Wow I hate to say I told you all so only because I love the CIV franchise so much.

Absolutely mandatory steam + zero day DLC should have been a huge heads up, but even I'm shocked at how lacking in substance and polish people say this product is at release. CIV V owners should organize a campaign here not to buy any more stuff from Firaxis/2K until the companies agree to make some core game fixes.

I hope everyone can agree on what those core fixes are.

The idea that free Genghis Khan DLC would buy people off is too insulting to contemplate. Hopefully its just a good will gesture and the companies really will work their butts off to fix the game.

Wow I hate to say I told you all so only because I love the CIV franchise so much.

Absolutely mandatory steam + zero day DLC should have been a huge heads up, but even I'm shocked at how lacking in substance and polish people say this product is at release. CIV V owners should organize a campaign here not to buy any more stuff from Firaxis/2K until the companies agree to make some core game fixes.

I hope everyone can agree on what those core fixes are.

The idea that free Genghis Khan DLC would buy people off is too insulting to contemplate. Hopefully its just a good will gesture and the companies really will work their butts off to fix the game.

Agree 100% We shouldn't have to put up with this crap and if we were all smart we'd boycott buying anything in the future from them until they do some major fixing.

I'll take the Mongol DLC since it's free but I am certainly not placated by this.

Well, i'm simply voting with wallet. That's how i'm forcing them to deliver a product that would fit my expected standarts.

Currently i'm playing an absolutely free version, that my friend downloaded via torrent. When and if game will be patched enough from my point of view - i'll certainly buy it. If i'll get tired of waiting for patches - company won't see my money.

I have learned my lesson after rushing to buy piece of crap Master of Orion 3. If company feels it's acceptable to not give a crap about me and delivering *** product, i have absolutely no remorse pirating my first full version untill i wait for possible updates.

Top Bottom