How do y'all handle Diplomatic Units?

ridjack

Emperor
Generally, I've always just purchased the diplo units I need and send them where I need them. I almost never produce them; I was wondering what everyone else does?

Generally, I've always just purchased the diplo units I need and send them where I need them. I almost never produce them; I was wondering what everyone else does?

It never occurred to me to buy them (with rare exceptions), because I always reach a point where 2-3 cities have nothing better to build than diplo units. Then I read a post about someone always buying them, and saw the value of... doing both. If I have the gold to spare. Mine tends to go to unit upgrades and rushing science buildings.

It never occurred to me to buy them (with rare exceptions), because I always reach a point where 2-3 cities have nothing better to build than diplo units. Then I read a post about someone always buying them, and saw the value of... doing both. If I have the gold to spare. Mine tends to go to unit upgrades and rushing science buildings.
What difficulty do you play on, again?

Hmm. I'm still stuck on King (Emperor whoops me), so it's valuable to me to get ideas from higher up.

I'm starting to wonder if I focus waaaaay too much on buildings. I often feel like my cities should always be building a) buildings or b) military units. I take it you typically ignore a lot of buildings?

Hmm. I'm still stuck on King (Emperor whoops me), so it's valuable to me to get ideas from higher up.

I'm starting to wonder if I focus waaaaay too much on buildings. I often feel like my cities should always be building a) buildings or b) military units. I take it you typically ignore a lot of buildings?

I play a very specialized game: only SV, usually with a religion, and I tend to have a much stronger navy than army. So I don't build that many units, and do just about run out of viable buildings to put up (do I finally build a herbalist for one forest? or a stable for one horse? etc.). I rush some unis, and all PS's and RL's. I go slow on diplo units until building chanceries seems smart, and then have as many diplo units in the pipeline as my paper allows. I beeline archaeology and try to clean out the planet. When in doubt late I build defensive buildings, given my smallish army.

My millstone is mid-to-late-game happiness.

I play a very specialized game: only SV, usually with a religion, and I tend to have a much stronger navy than army. So I don't build that many units, and do just about run out of viable buildings to put up (do I finally build a herbalist for one forest? or a stable for one horse? etc.). I rush some unis, and all PS's and RL's. I go slow on diplo units until building chanceries seems smart, and then have as many diplo units in the pipeline as my paper allows. I beeline archaeology and try to clean out the planet. When in doubt late I build defensive buildings, given my smallish army.

My millstone is mid-to-late-game happiness.

Do you only play with the civs that work with that, then? I'm completely the opposite in that respect; I try to go in without any idea of exactly what I'll be doing, and then let circumstances dictate where I end up. I only tie myself to a victory type from the beginning when the civ would basically be blank doing anything else (ie why would you do anything but Domination as Shaka, or tourism as Arabia). Even then, I try to make sure I hedge my bets enough that I can switch tracks if need be.

On what speed are you playing, Txurce?

For me, I do both, buying and building. Probably a tad more buying, but I certainly should build more of them also.

On what speed are you playing, Txurce?

Standard.

Do you only play with the civs that work with that, then? I'm completely the opposite in that respect; I try to go in without any idea of exactly what I'll be doing, and then let circumstances dictate where I end up. I only tie myself to a victory type from the beginning when the civ would basically be blank doing anything else (ie why would you do anything but Domination as Shaka, or tourism as Arabia). Even then, I try to make sure I hedge my bets enough that I can switch tracks if need be.

You're certainly playing the right way. I occasionally play with Korea or Babylon, but mostly favor the civs with punchy naval UU's: Carthage, the Netherlands, and England. These civs have nothing to do with a SV. I choose that VC because it makes you combat all the other VC's. So bottom line, no matter who I choose (and I never restart), it's more like "how do I get a SV out of this?"

Standard.

You're certainly playing the right way. I occasionally play with Korea or Babylon, but mostly favor the civs with punchy naval UU's: Carthage, the Netherlands, and England. These civs have nothing to do with a SV. I choose that VC because it makes you combat all the other VC's. So bottom line, no matter who I choose (and I never restart), it's more like "how do I get a SV out of this?"

I prefer a slow-rolling Domination victory, myself. I don't particularly care to finish it out in the early eras, because the late-game warfare has the potential to be more interesting, if only because the AI has had time to take advantage of their bonuses and be able to compete on that aspect. I also tend to dislike naval combat for the same reasons; the AI even in VP doesn't seem quite as competent as they are on land. It is fun to rampage across the world in the Industrial and Modern Eras and just absolutely sweep AI cities, though.

In the early game, when you have very little paper, buying emissaries has the advantage of not tying up your paper for the time it takes to build them. So if you need 2 or 3 for an alliance you can get that alliance much more quickly.

Early on when I’m paperlimited, I will often build the unit. Then while it’s traveling the city builds a building. Rinse and repeat. This keeps a healthy balance of diplo units and infrastructure.

I've been mostly playing very diplo light, usually try and take get allied with one or two nearby city state.
Current game I'm getting a LOT of AI hatred and closest CS got great diplo'd.

Depends a bit on what AIs are in the game and how far away CS are.
I build a or purchase, more depending on how I want to time influence and if I have the gold.

Top Bottom