1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you bombard?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by King Of America, Dec 23, 2001.

1. King Of America

King Of America Warlord

So I have a catapult or two but I can't seem to do anything useful with them. Could someone please explain how to use units that bombard?

Thanks

2. jc011

jc011 Rider of Rohan

just press b with a unit that can bombard, and a radius of squares will popup..this is the range of the bombardment...or you can look for the icon with a rock being lobbed, and click on that, then you just select a target that is within the range.

3. dozenlong

dozenlong Warlord

Hit b.

4. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

Catapults really seem like a luxury considering their limited effectiveness and cost. Just give me another top military unit instead, swordsmen perhaps.

5. Captain Pugwash

Captain Pugwash Warlord

Yeah, bombard is pathetic.

It never even takes out one unit. The most it can do is reduce the opposing unit to a red status on the health bar. I think the design team got this concept wrong ...as a result, all bombard units are a waste of time.

Particularly useless is bombing cities. In Civ2 it would take out defending units but in Civ3 it rarely if ever affects defenders. Mostly it destroys city improvements like Temples so when you take over the city you have to rebuild them...yuk

It was probably motivated by some politically correct idiot who thought it was wrong to bomb cities..which is pointless in a game where you have to attack and destroy neighbouring Civs who have done you no harm.

6. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Nay, nay! I use bombard all the time. The ol' Killer Phalanx on a mountain top. Bombard until it redlines. Then finish it off. Or that size 20 city filled with infantry. Bombard repeatedly. Turn after turn if need be, until you have destroyed the defenders will to fight.

I recently took out a large city defending with Infantry using cannon and riflemen. I wouldn't have attacked him knowing that, but they upgraded at the last minute. I bombarded for at least five turns before attempt the attack.

Bombard, bombard, bombard. It may not be fast; it may not be pretty; but it works.