How do you build up your new cities?

teakbois

Prince
Ancient/Classical eras

Do you make a LONG queue list and forget your city for a while? What general order do you build things? How often do you check up on crime/disease or do you just factor it into your queue?

I tend to queue up the gathering and cheap production buildings first. then I queue up cheap food buildings like dried fruit maker. then I add graveyard and town watch and queue up a few more expensive buildings like dining hall and butchery.

At size 6 I reevaluate, put in a forge and a warehouse and icehouse, readjust disease/crime (locksmith is good here), get a few cheap production buildings like shipwright then Ill usually queue up science stuff like library, agora, and my cathedral of choice and then go from there.

I really should analyze things better but I get lazy.

I have two standard queues that I use for new cities. They contain a mixture of buildings but concentrate on production and gold. I am re-evaluating these lists at the moment to include some of the new buildings. The first five or six buildings in the first list are all the simple production buildings, followed by buildings I need to be able to build the buildings I want in the second list eg storage pit.

I don't usually make long queue lists. Maybe it's just my playing style, but what I build depends a lot on the game situation, so I do better by checking my cities frequently even though that means I'm doing more micromanaging.

When I do make a long queue list in a city, I usually end up changing things before very long.

I am also quite lazy and make relatively long building lists. Hammer buildings are the priority, then all cheap buildings that have no negative effects, then food and money. I don´t construct buildings that provide crime or pollution unless they produce hammers or a good amount of food.
At size 6 a forge and those other hammer related buildings need to be included, at size 12 the Sewers.
I only start looking at crime when I see that my cities become unhappy. Then I build anti-crime units in my unit city and send them all over my empire.

BTW, being lazy is the only option with my playstile to have a real life anymore. I just finished a game on a standard map by building the spaceship and it took me 240 hours!

I only start looking at crime when I see that my cities become unhappy. Then I build anti-crime units in my unit city and send them all over my empire.

you might want to take a look at how much crime costs you. It pays to keep crime low.

I tend to queue 1-3 buildings at a time, and sometimes cancel a building to build a unit or wonder than go back to the queue. I press the hotkey Insert to enter the nearest city, or Home key to cycle through my cities and use the number arrows to cycle to my cities. The first order of business is to build Hammers and Food then Science and at the end Culture/Espionage.

Top Bottom